Jan 6, 2012, 9:24 AM EDT
Jay K. Reisinger and Michael P. Gillespie, attorneys for Starlin Castro, have released a statement in the wake of the report that he has been accused of sexual assault:
We are aware of certain allegations that have been made against our client, Starlin Castro. We have thoroughly investigated this matter, and we are confident that these allegations are baseless. Given the sensitive nature of this matter, we cannot comment any further.
That’s a little stronger than your typical denial in these cases, but obviously there’s more that needs to play out here.
And I hope this goes without saying, but please folks: let’s keep our heads about us in the comments. We all know how these conversations unfold on the Internet. Someone is going to say unfortunate things about Castro before any facts are known. Someone is going to say unfortunate things about the alleged victim before the facts are known. Someone else will make broader statements about sexual assault, date rape and all manner of things that, with a little thoughtfulness and prudence, they may not otherwise have said.
Not saying that anything other than the usual commenting guidelines apply, but really, let’s try to be thoughtful and respectful here, OK?
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 6
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 20
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 56
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 69
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 93
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (95)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)