Jan 6, 2012, 9:24 AM EST
Jay K. Reisinger and Michael P. Gillespie, attorneys for Starlin Castro, have released a statement in the wake of the report that he has been accused of sexual assault:
We are aware of certain allegations that have been made against our client, Starlin Castro. We have thoroughly investigated this matter, and we are confident that these allegations are baseless. Given the sensitive nature of this matter, we cannot comment any further.
That’s a little stronger than your typical denial in these cases, but obviously there’s more that needs to play out here.
And I hope this goes without saying, but please folks: let’s keep our heads about us in the comments. We all know how these conversations unfold on the Internet. Someone is going to say unfortunate things about Castro before any facts are known. Someone is going to say unfortunate things about the alleged victim before the facts are known. Someone else will make broader statements about sexual assault, date rape and all manner of things that, with a little thoughtfulness and prudence, they may not otherwise have said.
Not saying that anything other than the usual commenting guidelines apply, but really, let’s try to be thoughtful and respectful here, OK?
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)