Jan 6, 2012, 9:24 AM EST
Jay K. Reisinger and Michael P. Gillespie, attorneys for Starlin Castro, have released a statement in the wake of the report that he has been accused of sexual assault:
We are aware of certain allegations that have been made against our client, Starlin Castro. We have thoroughly investigated this matter, and we are confident that these allegations are baseless. Given the sensitive nature of this matter, we cannot comment any further.
That’s a little stronger than your typical denial in these cases, but obviously there’s more that needs to play out here.
And I hope this goes without saying, but please folks: let’s keep our heads about us in the comments. We all know how these conversations unfold on the Internet. Someone is going to say unfortunate things about Castro before any facts are known. Someone is going to say unfortunate things about the alleged victim before the facts are known. Someone else will make broader statements about sexual assault, date rape and all manner of things that, with a little thoughtfulness and prudence, they may not otherwise have said.
Not saying that anything other than the usual commenting guidelines apply, but really, let’s try to be thoughtful and respectful here, OK?
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 16
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 49
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)