Jan 6, 2012, 9:24 AM EDT
Jay K. Reisinger and Michael P. Gillespie, attorneys for Starlin Castro, have released a statement in the wake of the report that he has been accused of sexual assault:
We are aware of certain allegations that have been made against our client, Starlin Castro. We have thoroughly investigated this matter, and we are confident that these allegations are baseless. Given the sensitive nature of this matter, we cannot comment any further.
That’s a little stronger than your typical denial in these cases, but obviously there’s more that needs to play out here.
And I hope this goes without saying, but please folks: let’s keep our heads about us in the comments. We all know how these conversations unfold on the Internet. Someone is going to say unfortunate things about Castro before any facts are known. Someone is going to say unfortunate things about the alleged victim before the facts are known. Someone else will make broader statements about sexual assault, date rape and all manner of things that, with a little thoughtfulness and prudence, they may not otherwise have said.
Not saying that anything other than the usual commenting guidelines apply, but really, let’s try to be thoughtful and respectful here, OK?
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 21
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 22
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 39
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (164)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)