Attorneys for Starlin Castro: “We are confident these allegations are baseless”

Jan 6, 2012, 9:24 AM EDT

Chicago Cubs v San Francisco Giants Getty Images

Jay K. Reisinger and Michael P. Gillespie, attorneys for Starlin Castro, have released a statement in the wake of the report that he has been accused of sexual assault:

We are aware of certain allegations that have been made against our client, Starlin Castro. We have thoroughly investigated this matter, and we are confident that these allegations are baseless.  Given the sensitive nature of this matter, we cannot comment any further.

That’s a little stronger than your typical denial in these cases, but obviously there’s more that needs to play out here.

And I hope this goes without saying, but please folks: let’s keep our heads about us in the comments. We all know how these conversations unfold on the Internet. Someone is going to say unfortunate things about Castro before any facts are known. Someone is going to say unfortunate things about the alleged victim before the facts are known. Someone else will make broader statements about sexual assault, date rape and all manner of things that, with a little thoughtfulness and prudence, they may not otherwise have said.

Not saying that anything other than the usual commenting guidelines apply, but really, let’s try to be thoughtful and respectful here, OK?

1. paperlions - Jan 6, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Thoughtful?

I have no facts; therefore, I have no bases to form an opinion and remain opinionless on this topic.

• nategearhart - Jan 6, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Second. One of our downsides as a species that is really illuminated by the internet is this conceit that everyone has to have an opinion about everything.
      Right now, with no information, there is absolutely nothing to opine about.

• baseballisboring - Jan 6, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Well said. There’s literally two people on Earth that know **anything** about this.

• cur68 - Jan 6, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Yep.

• Old Gator - Jan 6, 2012 at 11:59 AM

I have an opinion. It’s a strong one. I don’t need facts. My opinion is based on stereotypes, and stereotypes trump the facts every time because this is cyberspace! We all know what the truth is already. Why are we beating about the bush like this?

Incidentally, I have similar opinions – equally strong – about global warming, the international Zionist conspiracy, the international Islamic conspiracy, the international conspiracy to repress the facts about UFOs, the Illuminati, fluoridation of drinking water (Purity of Essence!) and Arte Mareno.

• Old Gator - Jan 6, 2012 at 12:03 PM

PS – and why doesn’t the National Park Service repress the truth that alligators love marshmallows?

Well, I know why. And nobody can buy my silence! Just you try! Go ahead, Salazar – just try to buy me off. Go on.

Bidding starts at $250,000….

• cur68 - Jan 6, 2012 at 12:35 PM

I can offer 10 Vietnamese đồng to pry the truth from you.

• saints97 - Jan 6, 2012 at 2:35 PM

From what I know about Old Gator, you’d have a better chance with 10 Vietnamese poon than you would with 10 dongs.

• Old Gator - Jan 6, 2012 at 11:45 PM

The Poon is the Myanmar unit of currency. It’s easy to remember that because it rhymes with Rangoon.

2. mckludge - Jan 6, 2012 at 9:52 AM

“Someone is going to say unfortunate things about Castro before any facts are known. Someone is going to say unfortunate things about the alleged victim before the facts are known. Someone else will make broader statements about sexual assault, date rape and all manner of things that, with a little thoughtfulness and prudence, they may not otherwise have said.”

Aw, come on, Craig. You’re taking all the fun out of the internet.

3. Jonny 5 - Jan 6, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Lawyer talk for “This is how we do our jobs.”

• cur68 - Jan 6, 2012 at 11:17 AM

J5: actually, if this were lawyer talk, I think he should have opened with “I charge $400/hour, payment up front, no refunds” or words to that effect. I suspect its talkin’ like this that got him OUT of practice of the law.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 6, 2012 at 12:05 PM

I was referring to the Lawyers employed by Castro in reference to their quote. Not Craig.

• cur68 - Jan 6, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Ah. My bad. Carry on.

4. stex52 - Jan 6, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Irrespective of the merits of the accusation, this is going to be a mess for Castro and the Cubs (I repeat myself). Police depositions, questionings, etc. And we can behave ourselves all we want here but the local media won’t. Even if it was a total misunderstanding, Castro is going to learn a lot about how fun life isn’t.

Ask Julian Assange. Or Dominique Strauss-Kahn.

5. hammyofdoom - Jan 6, 2012 at 10:49 AM

If this IS a false accusation, Starlin better thank his lucky stars that he’s a baseball player. I’ve seen more than one person lose a job based on an accusation that was proven false, but the mere accusation was enough for them to lose their job. No clue whether or not he did it, but as Stex said, this is NOT gonna be fun for Castro no matter what

• skids003 - Jan 6, 2012 at 12:31 PM

I have seen it happen too. Look what happened to the Duke lacrosse team. And look at how the accuser has turned out. She should have had to serve time for that.

6. baccards - Jan 6, 2012 at 11:14 AM

When two adults spend an evening of alcohol consumption together the probability of these situations occurring increases. A professional athlete, with the income that goes with being one, must understand the consequences…It may have been an assault, it may be a grab for money…I’m sure both parties are sure they are “right”…For all those we pay to see perform, please pay attention and learn…

7. ProfSutherland - Jan 6, 2012 at 11:17 AM

If Castro has proven one thing in his young career as a Cub, it is that he can hit it consistently. If this were true, I’m sure he’d have a history of it.

8. a125125125 - Jan 6, 2012 at 11:21 AM

” Someone is going to say unfortunate things about Castro before any facts are known. ”

Riiiiiight…..just like yesterday when you linked to an article that implied Ryan Braun is receiving treatment for herpes.

9. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 6, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Please don’t tell me we traded away one headache, only to discover another.

10. IainRWB - Jan 6, 2012 at 1:11 PM

It’s entirely possible both parties here believe what they are saying to be true. Time will tell if there is any objective evidence against Castro.

11. tjg25 - Jan 8, 2012 at 12:10 PM

I heard Epstein asked the Steelers for permission to speak to Big Ben about mentoring Starlin during Ben’s off season.

Three legends off to Cooperstown