Jan 6, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
Fact: Mike Rizzo and the Washington Nationals have been Scott Boras’ huckleberry for a few years now. Nothing wrong with that. They’ve signed some great guys by being willing to play ball with Boras in ways that some teams have chosen not to. But it is pretty obvious that if Boras has a big name, Rizzo is going to be interested.
Fact: Mike Rizzo and the Washington Nationals are rumored to be the front runners for Scott Boras client Prince Fielder.
Fact: Mike Rizzo is obligated to at least attempt to drive a hard bargain about it all, so he says stuff like this:
“We feel we have a good first baseman in Adam LaRoche. We feel he’s 100 percent healthy and when he’s 100 percent we’re going to get the 25 home runs, 85-100 RBI and great defense at first base. We’re committed to him. We also have a backup plan at first base with Mike Morse. We feel that we’re settled at that position.”
That’s well and good. What else can he say? “Man, oh, man! Can’t wait to sign Prince! Hope Scotty lets us!!” But it doesn’t really convince me. Does it convince you?
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 61
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 56
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 51
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11