Jan 6, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
Fact: Mike Rizzo and the Washington Nationals have been Scott Boras’ huckleberry for a few years now. Nothing wrong with that. They’ve signed some great guys by being willing to play ball with Boras in ways that some teams have chosen not to. But it is pretty obvious that if Boras has a big name, Rizzo is going to be interested.
Fact: Mike Rizzo and the Washington Nationals are rumored to be the front runners for Scott Boras client Prince Fielder.
Fact: Mike Rizzo is obligated to at least attempt to drive a hard bargain about it all, so he says stuff like this:
“We feel we have a good first baseman in Adam LaRoche. We feel he’s 100 percent healthy and when he’s 100 percent we’re going to get the 25 home runs, 85-100 RBI and great defense at first base. We’re committed to him. We also have a backup plan at first base with Mike Morse. We feel that we’re settled at that position.”
That’s well and good. What else can he say? “Man, oh, man! Can’t wait to sign Prince! Hope Scotty lets us!!” But it doesn’t really convince me. Does it convince you?
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 6
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 117
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 28
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39