It’s cute watching Mike Rizzo pretend to play tough with Scott Boras over Prince Fielder

Jan 6, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT

National League first baseman Fielder of the Brewers watches three-run home run in fourth inning during Major League Baseball's All-Star Game in Phoenix Reuters

Fact: Mike Rizzo and the Washington Nationals have been Scott Boras’ huckleberry for a few years now. Nothing wrong with that. They’ve signed some great guys by being willing to play ball with Boras in ways that some teams have chosen not to. But it is pretty obvious that if Boras has a big name, Rizzo is going to be interested.

Fact: Mike Rizzo and the Washington Nationals are rumored to be the front runners for Scott Boras client Prince Fielder.

Fact: Mike Rizzo is obligated to at least attempt to drive a hard bargain about it all, so he says stuff like this:

“We feel we have a good first baseman in Adam LaRoche. We feel he’s 100 percent healthy and when he’s 100 percent we’re going to get the 25 home runs, 85-100 RBI and great defense at first base. We’re committed to him. We also have a backup plan at first base with Mike Morse. We feel that we’re settled at that position.”

That’s well and good. What else can he say?  “Man, oh, man! Can’t wait to sign Prince! Hope Scotty lets us!!”  But it doesn’t really convince me. Does it convince you?

1. nategearhart - Jan 6, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Scott Boras is awesome. I’d rather watch him work over GMs than watch half his clients play baseball.

• logankivo - Jan 6, 2012 at 1:47 PM

The Scott Boras Show, would be a great drama/comedy show every week. Would totally watch it

• hep3 - Jan 6, 2012 at 7:32 PM

A Boras Celebrity Apprentice would be so much more watchable than that idiot Donald Trump.

2. cur68 - Jan 6, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica…that’s what Boras says back to Rizzo. He owns Rizzo like I own my pickup truck.

• El Bravo - Jan 6, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Nice Schrute reference there…although Jim said the line posing as Dwight so I guess it’s a Halpert reference…either way, good work once again, cur.

• El Bravo - Jan 6, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Also, what kind of pick-up to you own? Tundra? F-150? Silversun? Does it have a gun rack? Is there a Canadian rebel flag on it? If so, is that the Quebec flag?

• El Bravo - Jan 6, 2012 at 12:03 PM

“do” not “to”

• nategearhart - Jan 6, 2012 at 12:37 PM

When a Canadian refers to his “truck”, he means this.

• cur68 - Jan 6, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Ford Ranger 4X4. No gun rack. Small Guyanese flag sticker on the bumper is the only tribal markings. Liberally decorated with black and white dog hair on the inside. Smells like pine trees, border collie and the ghost of too many ancient burritos. I OWN that thing.

• cur68 - Jan 6, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Ok, now I wish I’d gone with what Nate said. Dang, that’s one sweeeet bear. Gotta pretty mouth…

• Jonny 5 - Jan 6, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Why did I picture something more like this??

• jwbiii - Jan 6, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Jonny 5, When you’re driving a 4×4 pickup in slippery/icy conditions, you really want to have a little extra weight in the bed so the rear end doesn’t fishtail. I go with a few sacks of rock salt. A skid of beer sounds fine in theory but it doesn’t work so well when the temperature gets below freezing and the bottles start popping.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 6, 2012 at 1:19 PM

ha! Keep it up front. Safe and sound. I had a Ford Ranger at one time, it wasn’t 4 wheel drive either. And I had a skid of Stainless steel scrap I’d put in the bed every winter. It worked ok until the snow got too deep.

• kopy - Jan 6, 2012 at 2:47 PM

True story: I recently brought Labatt Blue and Molson Golden to a house in the Adirondacks and left it outside overnight at -17 F (free refrigeration). The Molson did not freeze. The Labatt froze solid BUT THE BOTTLES DID NOT BREAK.

After this careful, thorough scientific experiment, I have concluded that Canadian beer does not explode when frozen.

• cur68 - Jan 6, 2012 at 4:40 PM

That’s because Canadian alcohol is used to the cold (often we use more of it in our beer just so we can leave it on the porch when she gets chilly out). We use extra tough bottles too keep the bears from Rambo-ing the beer. As a result we have a product nearly as tough as some of the women round these parts.

3. shaggylocks - Jan 6, 2012 at 11:25 AM

If I’m Mark Teixeira or Adrian Gonzalez, I’d be watching my back every time I walk past a dark alley at night. I’m pretty sure Prince Fielder has spent this off season stalking those two, deliriously planning out the details of a career-ending “accident.”

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 6, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Have you seen Prince Fielder? He couldn’t stalk someone in a coma without them catching on.

4. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jan 6, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Maybe being the laughingstock of the GM world last year with the Jayson Werth thing has him a little gun shy. I think he’s be better off with Carols Pena on a 1 year deal around $7-10MM than Fielder for 7 or 8 years at $20MM+ per, but I’m no GM.

• El Bravo - Jan 6, 2012 at 12:00 PM

I think they’re better off with LaRoche and Morse than with Pena. Morse had a fine year last season and will probably improve on those numbers this year. They really aren’t hurting for a first baseman, that much is true I think, but Fielder would certainly add some significant power and butts in seats. That said, I agree, Fielder just ain’t worth it for the Nats or pretty much anyone else that’s in a position to acquire him. That’s the crazy part here, what if Boras IS wrong on this one? What if no one bites?

• Jonny 5 - Jan 6, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Morse scares me as an NL east rival.

• natstowngreg - Jan 6, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Warms a Nats fan’s heart on a cold winter’s evening, to hear Phillies fans’ concerns about Michael Morse. :)

Agree that Prince isn’t worth the huge, long-term contract. At the same time, Boras is looking at Albert’s contract and wondering, why shouldn’t Prince get something comparable? I’ve seen mention of Boras maybe getting Prince a shorter contract, so he could become a FA again sooner. That might be the only way the Nats, Rangers, or Mysterty Team will pony up the $20+ million a year.

BTW, whatever happened to the Fish pursuing Prince? Just wondering.

As for Pena, I’d rather have a healthy LaRoche.

• skeleteeth - Jan 6, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Yeah I don’t think Morse was a fluke last year. And as long as LaRoche stays healthy and doesn’t end up in Atlanta or Pittsburgh or Arizona again I see no point in thinking Rizzo isn’t shooting straight with this one.

• skeleteeth - Jan 6, 2012 at 12:31 PM

I meant to add that that’s too much money to pay Carlos Pena to hit .220.

• deathmonkey41 - Jan 6, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Someone will sign Cruz for too much money- that is inevitable as the tides…or at least as inevitable as some team overpaying for a mediocre player.

5. pisano - Jan 6, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Rizzo, there’s an old saying that goes like this, don’t try to snow the snowman, and guess who the snowman is?

• El Bravo - Jan 6, 2012 at 12:02 PM

What does it mean to “snow” something? I’m confused.

• bravojawja - Jan 6, 2012 at 1:57 PM

It means to shut down an entire metropolitan area for a week or cause a run on milk and bread at the slightest whiff.

6. Old Gator - Jan 6, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Is that Ratso Rizzo….?

• 78mu - Jan 6, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Can’t be the same Rizzo because that would make Boras the naive Joe Buck. Boras would never give a team $20 after he screws them just because Rizzo or any other GM or owner starts crying.

7. mojosmagic - Jan 6, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Great Boras clients like Jason Worthless. Rizzo is a Boras bitch down on his knees!

8. muskyhunter2542 - Jan 6, 2012 at 12:10 PM

I just have this odd feeling Fielder is back in Milwaukee on a 1 year deal. Maybe a 3 year deal. Call me crazy!!!

• nategearhart - Jan 6, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Yeah dude. You’re crazy. :)

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 6, 2012 at 12:51 PM

There’s a better chance of Paul Molitor coming out of retirement than that. Sorry Musky.

• brewcitybummer - Jan 6, 2012 at 1:38 PM

A 1 year deal? There’s a real big difference between not getting the 8 yr, 200 mil he wants and settling for what you’re talking about. Stop giving yourself hope fellow Brewer fans. That stuff is poison.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 6, 2012 at 3:19 PM

9. muskyhunter2542 - Jan 6, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Not sure… I just think that that market is so soft… If he is going to get a short term deal, I see the brewers jumping all over it. for 1-3 years. In time for The Yankees, Red Sox, and Cubs to be ready to pay the man.

10. nategearhart - Jan 6, 2012 at 1:24 PM

It’s not a crazy notion or anything. But the problem is that the more Fielder backs off on years, the more interest from other teams he’ll gather. If he were to agree to four years (never happen) then a lot of teams would pony up way more than the Brewers would/could.

11. dcfan4life - Jan 6, 2012 at 1:25 PM

The Nationals were one to 2 bats away from being a real contender last year. They had the best bullpen in baseball for half the year, tremendous young talent. All of you who thought Jayson Werth was a total bust didnt watch Nats games. He never got anything to hit, had no one in the lineup to protect him. Our leadoff man was changed more than any other team in the league because they couldnt get on base. All that lack of production at the top of the order definately helped Morse break out. If Laroche can be anything he was and stay healthy, Ryan Zimmerman stays healthy all year, and Morse returns strong, thats going to get Werth better opportunities and bigger numbers, and suddenly the Nats got the offense they lacked last year. Prince Fielders and upgrade no doubt, but he isnt worth it. The Werth overpay signing showed we are willing to pay for talent, but we dont need to overpay twice.

• iranuke - Jan 6, 2012 at 3:51 PM

good analysis of the situation, don’t forget that they have some good pitching, and some studs in the bushes.

• El Bravo - Jan 6, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Two things: I think you still overrate Werth, but I’ve always felt this way about him. That contract will not be fun for the Nats and Werth will not be anywhere close to the heart of that offense ever, in my humble opinion. Second, you totally did not mention Danny Espinosa, who kicked ass last year. Morse, Espo (I just coined that), and Zimmerman, and maybe LaRoche are your huckleberries.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3495)