Jan 6, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
Nick Markakis underwent surgery yesterday to repair a torn rectus abdominus muscle and may not be ready for the beginning of spring training.
Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com notes that Nationals third baseman Ryan Zimmerman missed six weeks after undergoing the same surgery and Markakis told Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun that he won’t be cleared to do anything but walk for at least three weeks.
Connolly reports that the injury kept Markakis from doing any workouts this offseason, but when asked about his status for Opening Day the Orioles right fielder said: “I don’t think it’s an issue. It wont take me that long to get back in swing of things.”
If his recovery goes smoothly Markakis is probably right, but at the very least he figures to be behind schedule early in camp and may not be at 100 percent to begin the season even if he’s in the lineup.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 30
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 86
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 85
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)