Jan 6, 2012, 11:51 AM EST
Nick Markakis underwent surgery yesterday to repair a torn rectus abdominus muscle and may not be ready for the beginning of spring training.
Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com notes that Nationals third baseman Ryan Zimmerman missed six weeks after undergoing the same surgery and Markakis told Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun that he won’t be cleared to do anything but walk for at least three weeks.
Connolly reports that the injury kept Markakis from doing any workouts this offseason, but when asked about his status for Opening Day the Orioles right fielder said: “I don’t think it’s an issue. It wont take me that long to get back in swing of things.”
If his recovery goes smoothly Markakis is probably right, but at the very least he figures to be behind schedule early in camp and may not be at 100 percent to begin the season even if he’s in the lineup.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)