Jan 6, 2012, 8:33 AM EDT
Wow: WBBM Newsradio in Chicago is reporting that Cubs shortstop Starlin Castro has been accused of sexually assaulting a Chicago woman last September. No charges have been filed and he has not been arrested, but he is wanted for questioning.
WBBM has obtained a police report — heavily redacted — that says Castro took to woman to his apartment after a night of drinking. The woman blacked out, the report says, and when she awoke, Castro was assaulting her. CBS Chicago.com summarizes the report thusly:
It says that when she woke up she screamed and yelled at her alleged attacker, and left the apartment at about 5:30 a.m. getting a ride home from her friend. It would be 12 hours before the alleged victim would go to a hospital, and police would become involved.
By then, it is believed that Castro was on a plane, heading home to the Dominican Republic for the off-season.
He has not been back to the United States since then. His agent, Paul Kinzer, declined to comment as have the Cubs.
We’re going to be hearing more about this, obviously. Updates as they occur.
UPDATE: Attorneys for Castro have released a statement saying that they believe the allegations to be baseless.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (90)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (77)