Jan 6, 2012, 8:33 AM EDT
Wow: WBBM Newsradio in Chicago is reporting that Cubs shortstop Starlin Castro has been accused of sexually assaulting a Chicago woman last September. No charges have been filed and he has not been arrested, but he is wanted for questioning.
WBBM has obtained a police report — heavily redacted — that says Castro took to woman to his apartment after a night of drinking. The woman blacked out, the report says, and when she awoke, Castro was assaulting her. CBS Chicago.com summarizes the report thusly:
It says that when she woke up she screamed and yelled at her alleged attacker, and left the apartment at about 5:30 a.m. getting a ride home from her friend. It would be 12 hours before the alleged victim would go to a hospital, and police would become involved.
By then, it is believed that Castro was on a plane, heading home to the Dominican Republic for the off-season.
He has not been back to the United States since then. His agent, Paul Kinzer, declined to comment as have the Cubs.
We’re going to be hearing more about this, obviously. Updates as they occur.
UPDATE: Attorneys for Castro have released a statement saying that they believe the allegations to be baseless.
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 0
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 14
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 14
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (106)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)