Jan 7, 2012, 10:25 PM EDT
Anaheim’s spending spree continues.
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the Angels have agreed to a four-year contract extension with second baseman Howie Kendrick. The deal will cover his final year of arbitration-eligibility and his first three years of free agency.
Kendrick posted career-bests across the board in 2011, batting .285/.338/.464 with 18 home runs, 63 RBI and 14 stolen bases in 583 plate appearances. He’s also become an elite defender at second base, with some of the best range in the bigs.
Financial terms of the agreement have not been disclosed. Kendrick made $3.3 million last year.
UPDATE, 9:39 PM: Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register has confirmed Rosenthal’s report, and says the money involved is “to be announced.” Look for details to be leaked within the next few days.
UPDATE, 10:25 PM: USA Today’s Bob Nightengale says the extension is worth $33.5 million.
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 3
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 81
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 57
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)