Halos lock up Howie Kendrick with 4-year, $33.5M extension

Jan 7, 2012, 10:25 PM EDT

kendrick reuters Getty Images

Anaheim’s spending spree continues.

According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the Angels have agreed to a four-year contract extension with second baseman Howie Kendrick. The deal will cover his final year of arbitration-eligibility and his first three years of free agency.

Kendrick posted career-bests across the board in 2011, batting .285/.338/.464 with 18 home runs, 63 RBI and 14 stolen bases in 583 plate appearances. He’s also become an elite defender at second base, with some of the best range in the bigs.

Financial terms of the agreement have not been disclosed. Kendrick made $3.3 million last year.

UPDATE, 9:39 PM: Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register has confirmed Rosenthal’s report, and says the money involved is “to be announced.” Look for details to be leaked within the next few days.

UPDATE, 10:25 PM: USA Today’s Bob Nightengale says the extension is worth $33.5 million.

1. schusters3 - Jan 7, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Hmmm, 4yrs in front of Pujols should give him great numbers for free agency. Wise on both sides. Let’s see that batting title people talk about, Howie!

• Kevin S. - Jan 8, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Four years in front of Pujols will give him his age-33 season for free agency. Not sure how well this sets up Kendrick’s next contract.

2. okwhitefalcon - Jan 7, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Proactive measures by the Angels front office and ownership, well done.

3. hammyofdoom - Jan 8, 2012 at 1:33 AM

God the angels are scaring the hell out of me as a guy who supports an AL team. I keep trying to justify how they wont be THAT good in my head, but I keep looking at Weaver, Harden and Wilson, and weep quietly to myself as I try and sleep at night. Thankfully the Sox don’t play in the AL West, but this is just the latest in a long line of good moves for them (The Pujols one being fantastic if they win a WS sooner rather than later)

4. baseballisboring - Jan 8, 2012 at 2:13 AM

Good deal for the Halos…really valuable up the middle guy and he’s only 28.

5. mycrackie - Jan 8, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Watch out for the cubs!!!

6. cowboysoldiertx - Jan 8, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Solid baseball move. Angels may juts be building a dynasty. Lets see how the season rolls.

7. cosanostra71 - Jan 8, 2012 at 3:34 PM

I like the move and I think the Halos will be improved next year overall, but there are still some holes on the team (like the bullpen) that worry me.

8. schusters3 - Jan 8, 2012 at 8:55 PM

When it’s over I’d guess he could get another contract to at least match the 8 million a year for 4 yrs. 64mil over 8 yrs not bad.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5517)