Jan 7, 2012, 8:52 AM EDT
Kendrys Morales is still a major question mark nearly two years removed from breaking his lower left leg while jumping onto home plate following a game-winning-home grand slam, but he did get some good news after visiting his doctor in Colorado earlier this week.
According to Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times, Morales was cleared to “ramp up” some baseball activities. While he was previously jogging on a “de-weighted” treadmill and hitting off a tee in Arizona, he has already begun running under his own body weight. The real test will come when Morales begins running the bases aggressively, but this is a very positive early sign.
The Angels tendered Morales a contract this offseason, despite the fact that he hasn’t played in a professional game since May 29, 2010. The 28-year-old switch-hitter figures to make around $4 million in his second year of arbitration, but the benefits are obviously huge if he can bounce back to his 2009 form. Mark Trumbo is behind in his rehab from foot surgery, but the Angels still have enough depth that they can afford to bring Morales along slowly.
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 41
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 26
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 59
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 19
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)