Jan 7, 2012, 3:30 PM EST
Mariano Rivera hasn’t had any setbacks since undergoing surgery early last month to remove polyps on his vocal cords. In fact, he spent a couple hours earlier today coaching some youth players during a clinic at the Frozen Ropes baseball facility in Pine Brook, New Jersey.
According to Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger, the all-time saves leader has been speaking regularly for a couple weeks now and has one more follow-up appointment with doctors during which he hopes to get cleared to begin preparations for the season.
“I was worried about something else, even though the doctor says it doesn’t look like it,” Rivera said on Saturday morning, in his first public comments since undergoing throat surgery on Dec. 2. “But I had peace when the results came and everything was negative. Thank God, everything’s good. I’m just trying to get ready for spring training.”
Rivera, 42, posted a 1.91 ERA, 44 saves and a 60/8 K/BB ratio over 61 1/3 innings last season. While he continues to defy age and build on his reputation as the best relief pitcher ever, he has yet to declare his intentions beyond 2012.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)