Jan 7, 2012, 10:45 AM EDT
The Rangers signed Joe Nathan to a two-year, $14 million contract in November, but that didn’t stop them from pursuing closer Andrew Bailey before the Athletics traded him to the Red Sox late last month. And now they have checked in on free agent reliever Ryan Madson, reports Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com.
I don’t have my Hot Stove handbook with me at the moment, so I’m not sure if “checked in” is closer to “kicked the tires” or “sniffing around,” but most contenders would be smart to give Scott Boras a call considering how Madson’s market has deteriorated since his reported four-year, $44 million deal with the Phillies fell through. The great majority of teams have already settled on closers, so he could end up being a really nice bargain for someone. That said, the Rangers do have some pretty good depth in the back of their bullpen with Nathan, Mike Adams, Koji Uehara and potentially Alexi Ogando.
Madson, 31, posted a 2.37 ERA, 32 saves and a 62/16 K/BB ratio over 60 2/3 innings last season with the Phillies. He has a 2.89 ERA over the last five seasons.
- Who really owns a home run ball? 56
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 127
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Ryan Zimmerman is Mr. Walk-Off (and the numbers to prove it) 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)