Jan 7, 2012, 10:45 AM EDT
The Rangers signed Joe Nathan to a two-year, $14 million contract in November, but that didn’t stop them from pursuing closer Andrew Bailey before the Athletics traded him to the Red Sox late last month. And now they have checked in on free agent reliever Ryan Madson, reports Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com.
I don’t have my Hot Stove handbook with me at the moment, so I’m not sure if “checked in” is closer to “kicked the tires” or “sniffing around,” but most contenders would be smart to give Scott Boras a call considering how Madson’s market has deteriorated since his reported four-year, $44 million deal with the Phillies fell through. The great majority of teams have already settled on closers, so he could end up being a really nice bargain for someone. That said, the Rangers do have some pretty good depth in the back of their bullpen with Nathan, Mike Adams, Koji Uehara and potentially Alexi Ogando.
Madson, 31, posted a 2.37 ERA, 32 saves and a 62/16 K/BB ratio over 60 2/3 innings last season with the Phillies. He has a 2.89 ERA over the last five seasons.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 5
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)