Jan 7, 2012, 5:32 PM EDT
While the Rays are still weighing their options for first base and designated hitter, Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that they also have interest in Ryan Theriot as a right-handed hitting utility infielder.
Theriot was non-tendered by the Cardinals last month after batting .271/.321/.342 with one home run, 47 RBI and a .662 OPS over 483 plate appearances in 2011 while splitting time between shortstop and second base. The 32-year-old stole just four bases in 10 attempts last season after reaching double-digits in steals in each of the previous six seasons.
Theriot is a bad fit as an everyday player at this point, but he does have a .301/.373/.401 batting line against southpaws during his career. That could make him pretty useful in a middle infield with the likes of Reid Brignac, Sean Rodriguez and Elliot Johnson.
According to Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times, Rays executive vice president Andrew Friedman said this afternoon that he is having conversations in both the free agent and trade markets and is confident he’ll secure two hitters, perhaps within the “next couple of weeks.”
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 23
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 51
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 29
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 101
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 52
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (188)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (101)