Jan 7, 2012, 5:32 PM EDT
While the Rays are still weighing their options for first base and designated hitter, Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that they also have interest in Ryan Theriot as a right-handed hitting utility infielder.
Theriot was non-tendered by the Cardinals last month after batting .271/.321/.342 with one home run, 47 RBI and a .662 OPS over 483 plate appearances in 2011 while splitting time between shortstop and second base. The 32-year-old stole just four bases in 10 attempts last season after reaching double-digits in steals in each of the previous six seasons.
Theriot is a bad fit as an everyday player at this point, but he does have a .301/.373/.401 batting line against southpaws during his career. That could make him pretty useful in a middle infield with the likes of Reid Brignac, Sean Rodriguez and Elliot Johnson.
According to Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times, Rays executive vice president Andrew Friedman said this afternoon that he is having conversations in both the free agent and trade markets and is confident he’ll secure two hitters, perhaps within the “next couple of weeks.”
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 298
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 39
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 39
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (298)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (158)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)