Jan 7, 2012, 5:32 PM EST
While the Rays are still weighing their options for first base and designated hitter, Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that they also have interest in Ryan Theriot as a right-handed hitting utility infielder.
Theriot was non-tendered by the Cardinals last month after batting .271/.321/.342 with one home run, 47 RBI and a .662 OPS over 483 plate appearances in 2011 while splitting time between shortstop and second base. The 32-year-old stole just four bases in 10 attempts last season after reaching double-digits in steals in each of the previous six seasons.
Theriot is a bad fit as an everyday player at this point, but he does have a .301/.373/.401 batting line against southpaws during his career. That could make him pretty useful in a middle infield with the likes of Reid Brignac, Sean Rodriguez and Elliot Johnson.
According to Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times, Rays executive vice president Andrew Friedman said this afternoon that he is having conversations in both the free agent and trade markets and is confident he’ll secure two hitters, perhaps within the “next couple of weeks.”
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (92)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)