Jan 7, 2012, 5:32 PM EDT
While the Rays are still weighing their options for first base and designated hitter, Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that they also have interest in Ryan Theriot as a right-handed hitting utility infielder.
Theriot was non-tendered by the Cardinals last month after batting .271/.321/.342 with one home run, 47 RBI and a .662 OPS over 483 plate appearances in 2011 while splitting time between shortstop and second base. The 32-year-old stole just four bases in 10 attempts last season after reaching double-digits in steals in each of the previous six seasons.
Theriot is a bad fit as an everyday player at this point, but he does have a .301/.373/.401 batting line against southpaws during his career. That could make him pretty useful in a middle infield with the likes of Reid Brignac, Sean Rodriguez and Elliot Johnson.
According to Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times, Rays executive vice president Andrew Friedman said this afternoon that he is having conversations in both the free agent and trade markets and is confident he’ll secure two hitters, perhaps within the “next couple of weeks.”
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)