Jan 7, 2012, 5:32 PM EDT
While the Rays are still weighing their options for first base and designated hitter, Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that they also have interest in Ryan Theriot as a right-handed hitting utility infielder.
Theriot was non-tendered by the Cardinals last month after batting .271/.321/.342 with one home run, 47 RBI and a .662 OPS over 483 plate appearances in 2011 while splitting time between shortstop and second base. The 32-year-old stole just four bases in 10 attempts last season after reaching double-digits in steals in each of the previous six seasons.
Theriot is a bad fit as an everyday player at this point, but he does have a .301/.373/.401 batting line against southpaws during his career. That could make him pretty useful in a middle infield with the likes of Reid Brignac, Sean Rodriguez and Elliot Johnson.
According to Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times, Rays executive vice president Andrew Friedman said this afternoon that he is having conversations in both the free agent and trade markets and is confident he’ll secure two hitters, perhaps within the “next couple of weeks.”
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 6
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 18
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)