Jan 8, 2012, 3:14 PM EST
Crasnick reported moments ago that the Phillies are among the clubs with interest in Wood, and may get aggressive if veteran setup man Jose Contreras fails to make significant progress within the next few weeks from his September elbow surgery.
Wood posted a solid 3.35 ERA, 1.29 WHIP and 57/21 K/BB ratio in 51 innings last season for the Cubs. He accepted a team-friendly one-year, $1.5 million contract last offseason to return to Chicago, but may have been turned off this winter by the Theo Epstein-led rebuilding movement. The 34-year-old would probably like to join the bullpen of a contending team, and the Phillies certainly fit that bill.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)