Jan 8, 2012, 3:14 PM EDT
Crasnick reported moments ago that the Phillies are among the clubs with interest in Wood, and may get aggressive if veteran setup man Jose Contreras fails to make significant progress within the next few weeks from his September elbow surgery.
Wood posted a solid 3.35 ERA, 1.29 WHIP and 57/21 K/BB ratio in 51 innings last season for the Cubs. He accepted a team-friendly one-year, $1.5 million contract last offseason to return to Chicago, but may have been turned off this winter by the Theo Epstein-led rebuilding movement. The 34-year-old would probably like to join the bullpen of a contending team, and the Phillies certainly fit that bill.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 25
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 252
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 43
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (253)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (158)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)