Jan 8, 2012, 10:40 PM EDT
Rosenthal says Cook will be given a change to compete for a job in the Boston rotation during spring camp, but the 32-year-old likely faces long odds.
Cook posted a brutal 6.03 ERA and 1.69 WHIP in 97 innings last season for Colorado, striking out only 48 batters while issuing 37 walks. He had a 5.08 ERA and 62/52 K/BB ratio in 127 2/3 innings in 2010.
The Red Sox had a disappointing 4.20 team ERA last year that ranked 22nd in the majors and have been looking to upgrade their pitching staff all offseason, but Cook isn’t capable of providing any sort of spark.
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 16
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 40
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 16
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 47
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 73
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)