Jan 8, 2012, 10:40 PM EDT
Rosenthal says Cook will be given a change to compete for a job in the Boston rotation during spring camp, but the 32-year-old likely faces long odds.
Cook posted a brutal 6.03 ERA and 1.69 WHIP in 97 innings last season for Colorado, striking out only 48 batters while issuing 37 walks. He had a 5.08 ERA and 62/52 K/BB ratio in 127 2/3 innings in 2010.
The Red Sox had a disappointing 4.20 team ERA last year that ranked 22nd in the majors and have been looking to upgrade their pitching staff all offseason, but Cook isn’t capable of providing any sort of spark.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 45
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)