Jan 8, 2012, 10:40 PM EDT
Rosenthal says Cook will be given a change to compete for a job in the Boston rotation during spring camp, but the 32-year-old likely faces long odds.
Cook posted a brutal 6.03 ERA and 1.69 WHIP in 97 innings last season for Colorado, striking out only 48 batters while issuing 37 walks. He had a 5.08 ERA and 62/52 K/BB ratio in 127 2/3 innings in 2010.
The Red Sox had a disappointing 4.20 team ERA last year that ranked 22nd in the majors and have been looking to upgrade their pitching staff all offseason, but Cook isn’t capable of providing any sort of spark.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)