Jan 8, 2012, 10:40 PM EST
Rosenthal says Cook will be given a change to compete for a job in the Boston rotation during spring camp, but the 32-year-old likely faces long odds.
Cook posted a brutal 6.03 ERA and 1.69 WHIP in 97 innings last season for Colorado, striking out only 48 batters while issuing 37 walks. He had a 5.08 ERA and 62/52 K/BB ratio in 127 2/3 innings in 2010.
The Red Sox had a disappointing 4.20 team ERA last year that ranked 22nd in the majors and have been looking to upgrade their pitching staff all offseason, but Cook isn’t capable of providing any sort of spark.
- Mariners sign Corey Hart 18
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 32
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 20
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 65
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)