Jan 8, 2012, 10:40 PM EDT
Rosenthal says Cook will be given a change to compete for a job in the Boston rotation during spring camp, but the 32-year-old likely faces long odds.
Cook posted a brutal 6.03 ERA and 1.69 WHIP in 97 innings last season for Colorado, striking out only 48 batters while issuing 37 walks. He had a 5.08 ERA and 62/52 K/BB ratio in 127 2/3 innings in 2010.
The Red Sox had a disappointing 4.20 team ERA last year that ranked 22nd in the majors and have been looking to upgrade their pitching staff all offseason, but Cook isn’t capable of providing any sort of spark.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 12
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 77
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 13
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 113
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (113)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)