Anonymous New York Met: “We’ve become the Oakland A’s”

Jan 9, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT

mets logo hat AP

New York Magazine has a feature called “Workplace Confidential.” In it people anonymously dish dirt or vent spleen about their jobs and employers. Wanna hear from a bikini waxer who has a problem with female anatomy? Wanna hear from a plastic surgeon who says that liposuction is useless? That’s the place to go.

Yesterday one appeared from an anonymous New York Met. A New York Met who is none too pleased with the direction the franchise has taken:

It’s really sad to see what the Mets have become: A great franchise, on the biggest stage in sports, is now a laughingstock. Ownership is trying to turn the Mets, a big-market franchise, into a small-market franchise. That’s not just sad, it’s disgusting.

You know what I think when I read about the Mets nowadays? We’ve become the Oakland A’s. We’re the Pittsburgh Pirates. Our fans deserve better than that. You can’t possibly build a dynasty when you’re cutting costs left and right. The only way to turn it around is to sell the team.

And it goes on and on.

My guess: it’s gotta be Mookie Wilson. You just know he’s been waiting to bring the noise.

OK, maybe not.

1. stex52 - Jan 9, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Whoever the player is, he clearly doesn’t understand economics. When you’r broke, you’re broke.

Although selling the team away from the Wilpons would be an excellent start on the road back.

• Old Gator - Jan 9, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Well then, since the anonymous Mutt came to the same conclusion you did about selling the team, may we conclude either (a) that you are as economically clueless as you claim the ballplayer is, or (b) the ballplayer is, in fact, not only not lacking in economic expertise, but is, in fact, as lucid as you claim that you are?

I leave the choice to you.

• stex52 - Jan 9, 2012 at 12:17 PM

None of the above. If you have read any of the myriad articles and reports on the Wilpons, the conclusion that they are not working out as team owners can be arrived at separately. The Wilpons are knee-deep into having to give back Madoff money. And they ran a joke of an operation with favorite players having veto decisions over upper management. One could go on and on.

BTW, I also have no particular problems with indulging in the “dogs of death”, either. Just lots of mustard and peppers on top.

• Old Gator - Jan 9, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Which reminds me of the divine Tom Lehrer’s introduction to his song “New Math,” wherein the object is to understand the process by which you have arrived at your answer rather than to get the right one.

• stex52 - Jan 9, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Or possible many of the exercises in higher math that demonstrate that there are multiple alternate paths to the correct conclusion.

I will agree with you on Tom Lehrer as a philosophical source, though.

• paperlions - Jan 9, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Did I miss the part that said it was a player?

This sounds much more like an office employee (or a coach/scout) than a player.

• stex52 - Jan 9, 2012 at 12:20 PM

I think I jumped to htat conclusion. Sometimes I skim details when writing from work.

• Old Gator - Jan 9, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Well, since Mr. Anonymous referred to the front office as “they,” I suppose he’s not a very high ranking office employee if he is one at all.

Now if I played for the Mets, I’d punch my ticket out of that tire yard by leaking rumors that it was me, even if it wasn’t.

2. phillieschamps2012 - Jan 9, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Clearly the anonymous Met in question is Mr. Met. He’s the only respectable Met around these days.

• jwbiii - Jan 9, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Sandy Alderson. Who knows more about being the Oakland A’s?

• crisisjunky - Jan 9, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Charlie-O (the four-legged one)

• Old Gator - Jan 9, 2012 at 1:44 PM

The one that they renamed Mike Andrews, and who later starred in the HBO remake of Au Husard Balthasaar?

• bbk1000 - Jan 11, 2012 at 7:06 AM

Don’t compliment this guy too much, he’s liable to get a big head…..

3. kiwicricket - Jan 9, 2012 at 11:12 AM

If I was in the hole for 500 odd million…I might be slightly frugal also.
    Sad situation, but understandable.
    Fred would give his right arm, and the bank would give his left arm to be the Pirates right now.

4. mox19380 - Jan 9, 2012 at 11:20 AM

He’s right in the sense that the Mets are operating on a small market budget but at least the Pirates and A’s are making money. The pirates are one of the more profitable organizations in baseball thanks to their thrifty ways

5. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jan 9, 2012 at 11:29 AM

The Mets financial problems have nothing to do with the Mets. If the team were sold, a new owner could reap instant rewards, and increase them quickly by investing in this team. It is a New York MLB team with its own cable network for crying out loud. I would imagine losing money with those assets would be more difficult than making it. But boy are the Wilpons willing to put in that extra effort.

• paperlions - Jan 9, 2012 at 11:38 AM

They are losing money because they bought everything on credit…and money ain’t free. As soon as the Madoff money went away (both the “earnings” and the money in accounts), they were screwed. Everything they “make” is going for expenses/interest and with a losing team, they can’t even cover that now.

6. yankeesfanlen - Jan 9, 2012 at 11:30 AM

It’s just too bad we don’t have two Major League teams in town anymore.

• Old Gator - Jan 9, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Oh yeah. I bet you spend your nights crying your eyes out for that “other” team. Crying from laughing so hard, I mean.

Leave Fred Wilpon alone!

7. sdelmonte - Jan 9, 2012 at 11:46 AM

I wouldn’t mind the Mets being the A’s. Innovative GM, great farm system, ability to contend more often that not with a low payroll? Sounds good to me.

8. sleepyirv - Jan 9, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Who’ll play Sandy Alderson in the movie? William Hurt?

• Old Gator - Jan 9, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Billy Bob Thornton.

Oooooo heeehehehehehahahahahahahhooooooohahahahah……

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 9, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Kevin Kline.

9. SmackSaw - Jan 9, 2012 at 12:57 PM

I think Sandy Alderson is the “unidentified Met”.

10. angrycorgi - Jan 9, 2012 at 1:14 PM

With one stark difference: the As have nice looking uniforms…

11. jckid21 - Jan 9, 2012 at 1:42 PM

At least the A’s didn’t get “Madoffed”!

12. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 9, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Did the article say if it was even a current Met? Maybe Casey Stengel is throwing some hot sauce from beyond the grave. You never know.

• Old Gator - Jan 9, 2012 at 5:21 PM

If that had been Casey, the article would have been five times as long. But your comment does bring back fond recollections of the expressions on the faces of the senators on the Kefauver Committee during his testimony. Priceless:

13. cur68 - Jan 9, 2012 at 3:10 PM

So I read all three linked articles (I’m killing time between meetings by being unproductive: such a rebel, eh?). I really regret reading the bikini waxer’s thoughts. While I have some respect for anyone who can deal with all that, there’s some people you just don’t want to know any more about what they do. Like plumbers and sewer workers. When handled appropriately though, that stuff can be really funny. We used to have a gynecologist who’d come see her patient’s infants in the NICU: she’d always make some remark about looking for her watch and wanting to see if the kid had it. It was really funny, but then she didn’t elaborate and had this deadpan expression on her face. She cracked me up.

The plastic surgeon? Meh. Those guys get a pass from me after all the hare-lip repairs and burn surgeries they do. He can say whatever he likes, but you can tell he’s got serious ethical conflicts he struggles with.

As for the baseball guy: I’m thinking its RA Dickey that’s the author. No real strong reason to think that, but of all the people likely to have as considered, informed opinion connected to the Mets, I’m willing to bet on RA.

I hope Fred sells soon.

• Old Gator - Jan 9, 2012 at 5:22 PM

If he’s up Kilimanjaro already, he’s probably safe from their wrath now.

• cur68 - Jan 9, 2012 at 5:32 PM

But are we safe fro RA Dickey’s invading army? If RA’s on the mountain now then the Armageddon will start in 43 days. So it is written.

• Old Gator - Jan 9, 2012 at 9:39 PM

I like “So it is written,” but I think I prefer “thus has it ever been; thus shall it ever be.” I like my cliches with plenty of sauce.

I love armageddons, too. I just have a thing for sailboats.

• jwbiii - Jan 9, 2012 at 9:44 PM

An update on R.A. Dickey’s Kilimanjaro trek

• cur68 - Jan 9, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Thanks, JW, that was pretty cool. I love how he sees himself as a hobbit, as opposed to some other, perhaps more imposing adventurer. He writes well, too. I’ve hiked harder treks than what he’s on, but nothing as long and nothing as much elevation change (most Ive done is 1km (3000 feet) up from sea level and back: Chilkoot Pass). Sounds like he’s got a very organized expedition which is good. I wouldn’t want anything to happen to the most literate man in MLB.

14. ermur22 - Jan 9, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Sell the team Fred!!!!

15. buffalomafia - Jan 9, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Lets go YANKEES!!!!!

16. jericoc - Jan 9, 2012 at 5:25 PM

I’m a Mets fan, but even I do buy into the idea that this is “a great franchise”. Simply being in a big city does not make a franchise “great”. This team has not won a title in 25 years, has won as many titles as the Marlins, and has produced one Hall of Famer in almost fifty years of existence.

I love them, have rooted for them for over 40 years now and will continue to root for them, but I’m not delusional …

• mets79 - Jan 9, 2012 at 8:19 PM

As a life long Mets fan that was thing that jumped off the page for me….”Great franchise”??? um no…I too love them but sadly no

17. cool10857 - Jan 9, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Hey Fred Wilpon, you SUCK!

• Old Gator - Jan 9, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Don’t beat around the bush, cool…just tell us what you really think.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 10, 2012 at 10:58 AM

He probably just got back from an Islanders game.

18. stoutfiles - Jan 9, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Mr. Red spread the rumor…it’s finally time for him to be the best “baseball for a head” mascot!

19. chris1019 - Jan 9, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Let’s be fair here, the Mets are in a far worse position than the A’s or Pirates. Sounds like a delusional ex player who likes grandpa’s cough medicine a little too much and has delusions of grandeur for a franchise that has honestly not done anything.

20. metsin2020 - Jan 10, 2012 at 12:55 AM

I know the words of George “the stork”
    Theodore when I hear them.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2548)