Cubs and Tigers “down the road” in trade talks regarding Matt Garza

Jan 9, 2012, 6:57 PM EST

garza getty Getty Images

Citing “excellent baseball sources,” David Kaplan of CSNChicago.com reports that the Cubs and Tigers are “down the road in discussions” of a deal that would send right-hander Matt Garza to Detroit for a package of prospects.

No word of the prospects being discussed, but Kaplan mentions right-hander Jacob Turner, third baseman Nick Castellanos and left-hander Casey Crosby as some “interesting names” to consider. For what it’s worth, Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski said last week that he has no intention to deal Turner. But hey, why would he say otherwise?

Garza earned $5.95 million last season while posting a 3.32 ERA and a career-high 197 strikeouts over 198 innings. The 28-year-old right-hander is under team control for two more seasons. The Yankees, Red Sox, Blue Jays and Marlins are among the other clubs who have reportedly expressed interest.

1. Old Gator - Jan 9, 2012 at 7:52 PM

And the Feesh settled for Carlos Lamebraino. Ah well.

• dan1111 - Jan 9, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Look on the bright side: Garza, coming off his best year, is going to cost major prospects. Your team gave up very little for a guy who, though coming off a down year, has had a much more dominant career. I think the Fish win. Plus there’s that killer nickname you get to use, so you win, too.

• 78mu - Jan 9, 2012 at 8:54 PM

If Zambrano controls himself and concentrates on pitching and gets in shape and gets along with Ozzie and his teammates and they don’t let him hold a bat unless he is on deck or in the batter’s box he could have a good year.

Now, Zambrano has a track record and I wouldn’t bet my house on the stars and planets lining up just right but the team’s only got a pittance invested in him. A good low risk high reward situation.

• dan1111 - Jan 9, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Zambrano has had many years of success despite having this personality the whole time. He may be a headache for the Marlins’ management, but I will be surprised if he doesn’t pitch well.

• Old Gator - Jan 9, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Folks, I do get where you’re coming from: from a financial perspective, he’s cheap, but what would you rather do – give up some prospects and maybe one good position player for an upper rotation pitcher who could very well win you 20 games, or a bargain basement deal who might win you ten or twelve? Lamebraino got well and truly lit up last year, for as long as they let him go out there and get lit up. He’s overweight, has the potential to be a major clubhouse disruption, and his upside is mainly a comparative evaluation based on his cost. If he performs, I’ll be the first one to bend over and affix a “kick me” sign to my nates. But I’m not going to worry about it much.

Then again, look at it this way: would you jump off a bridge with a frayed bungee cord, even if it were cheap?

• dan1111 - Jan 10, 2012 at 4:25 AM

Gator, I think you’re giving too much weight to Zambrano’s and Garza’s most recent seasons. Looking at their whole careers, there is no reason to think Garza has ace upside but Zambrano does not. Zambrano is the bargain basement deal who could easily be better than Garza next year. Sure, there is some risk involved to your Gatorade cooler, but what deal doesn’t involve that? Any player could take a bat to it at any time.

• vivabear - Jan 9, 2012 at 11:32 PM

“And the Feesh settled for Carlos Lamebraino. Ah well.”

You make it seem like they had their choice of Garza or Zambrano…I’m pretty sure Volstad wasn’t gonna get the Garza deal done.

2. hackerjay - Jan 9, 2012 at 8:21 PM

I don’t think they are using the term “down the road” right. Doesn’t that usually mean something that is off in the future? I’ve never seen it used to mean something is close to happening.

• dan1111 - Jan 9, 2012 at 8:45 PM

At least they aren’t up the creek.

• Old Gator - Jan 9, 2012 at 9:32 PM

See my bungee cord analogy above.

• dan1111 - Jan 10, 2012 at 4:28 AM

That’s too much of a stretch.

3. whittle79 - Jan 9, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Garza is a bum !!

4. mellow13 - Jan 10, 2012 at 1:40 AM

The Gm wannabe Freed is throwing out the same names that Gio’s late GM was trying to induce Dombrowski to surrender.
    It was a pure matter of disrespect in that case and is even worse with Freed who is only wishful thinking in never-never land ( please note the double nevers).
    If Garza is worth what Freed is suggesting ,he must be an up and coming 30 win starter. So why have the Cubs not been bombarded with offers?
    This story is nothing more than home town trash talking. The Tigers may get Garza but it will be on equitable terms.
    Good luck Cub fans with your “new” front office.

5. Detroit Michael - Jan 10, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Here are Dombrowski’s comments from last week:

“We are not looking to trade Jacob Turner,” Dombrowski said. “We love the guy. But I have received calls from clubs wondering if we would be interested in certain players because they have interest in our players. And he is a guy they ask about immediately because he is held in such high esteem.

“Do we listen to anybody?” Dombrowski asked, rhetorically. “Yes. But we are not looking to trade Jacob Turner by any means. Our philosophy remains the same.”

He’s actually pretty noncommital, certainly does not promise to keep Turner.

• dan1111 - Jan 10, 2012 at 4:30 AM

One could almost read this as “we’re definitely going to trade him next week.”

• cmutimmah - Jan 10, 2012 at 8:36 AM

OK – I could see Turner, and a lefty (Below comes to mind…)

But Castellanos? Why would the TIgers trade their #1 and #2 prospect for a third starter?!? I really think this is a PR move by the Cubs, and not seriously the price tag that the Tigers are considering.

I’m just hoping the Tigers sign the Human Centipede (Cespedes)… and get a legit leadoff hitting guy at 2B… like make a run at Brian Roberts… but with what prospects? No clue. Seem to be selling the farm before we get to 2B…

A guy can dream, right?

• Kevin S. - Jan 10, 2012 at 10:18 AM

The Tigers are after a third starter? I was under the impression they were trying to get Matt Garza, who has been one of the top thirty pitchers in baseball over the past four years (by definition, making him a number one starter).

• uyf1950 - Jan 10, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Kevin S – My friend I think you are giving Garza just a little to much credit. He had a very good year last year. But let’s not forget many of the starters that move from the AL to the NL tend to perform better. As we all know no DH and for the most part bigger and less friendly ballparks.

I hope fans don’t confuse your comment “Garza, who has been one of the top thirty pitchers in baseball over the past four years (by definition, making him a number one starter)”. As him being an ACE, because he isn’t. At least that’s my opinion.

6. bigleagues - Jan 10, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Is it too late to submit Matt Garza for 2011 MLB Rhetorical Regurgitation Award to Matt Garza for his comments from just over a year ago? This is excerpted from Keith Law’s column on January:

Garza, who arrived in Chicago on Friday for his physical, sounded ready to get to work.

“I’m just happy to be a part of this long tradition,” Garza said. “I’ll just try to get this thing turned around in a good direction. We’ve got a lot of the pieces to the puzzle right there in Chicago, ready to do it.”

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4897)
  2. M. Kemp (3463)
  3. J. Upton (2553)
  4. J. Kang (2529)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2509)
  1. C. McGehee (2486)