Jan 9, 2012, 11:06 PM EDT
“Looking forward to seeing the fans at Cubs convention this weekend and getting to know all the guys. It’s gonna be fun.”
Maholm was first linked to the Cubs a month ago and has been a popular name to speculate about as teams try to fill out their rotations with low-cost veterans.
He never developed as hoped for the Pirates, who cut Maholm loose rather than exercise his $9.75 million option, but he’s still just 29 years old and has generally been a solid mid-rotation starter despite a sub par strikeout rate.
Maholm makes up for the lack of missed bats by inducing lots of ground balls, allowing just 18 homers per 200 innings during his career. Of course, Maholm hasn’t actually thrown 200 innings since 2008 and missed the end of last season with shoulder problems, but for a modest one-year deal he’d be a worthwhile pickup.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 45
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 11
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 40
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 47
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)