Hiroki Kuroda to decide where he’ll sign “in the next couple of days”

Jan 9, 2012, 12:20 PM EDT

kuroda throws getty Getty Images

Per NPB Tracker, Hiroki Kuroda — who, rumor has it, could be had on a one-year deal — has reportedly informed the Hiroshima Carp that he intends to pitch in the Major Leagues in 2012, not return to Japan as has been suggested a few times. Moreover, Kuroda reportedly intends to decide on where he’ll sign “within the next couple of days.”

There’s no clear frontrunner at this point. The Rangers have been rumored, but there is reason to be skeptical of that. The Red Sox have interest. The Yankees have reportedly ruled themselves out because they’re broke and everything, the poor dears.

Let’s just create chaos and say the Marlins are where he’s going. There hasn’t been enough talk about the Marlins this winter.

1. El Bravo - Jan 9, 2012 at 12:45 PM

WTF is ATL doing this off season other than nothing?

• Jonny 5 - Jan 9, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Besides paying Lowe to pitch for Cleveland?

I think they’re thinking of selling the team. Which would account for their obvious inactivity this off season. Although, I did hear they’re trying to extend Bourn, which would be smart.

• foreverchipper10 - Jan 10, 2012 at 10:11 AM

They had better extend Bourn. Also, selling the team would more than likely be a fantastic idea though I don’t see any reason why it would happen.

2. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 9, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Will the Bronx or Boston really sign him, at the cost of a luxury tax? I don’t know if even he’s worth that. I’m saying Texas.

3. Jeremiah Graves - Jan 9, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Depending on the price (duh, I guess)…he could be the missing piece to the Twins rotation and could keep Nick Blackburn and/or Jason Marquis from being guys we need to put legitimate stock into throughout the season.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 9, 2012 at 2:57 PM

He’d have to drop by like 50% for that to make sense. I’d wait until the questions around Morneau and Mauer are settled before I spend big.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3400)