Johnny Giavotella expects to be ready for spring training following hip surgery

Jan 9, 2012, 12:44 PM EDT

Kansas City Royals Photo Day Getty Images

Johnny Giavotella underwent hip surgery in October to repair a torn labrum and recently had a checkup with the doctor who performed the operation, telling Dick Kaegel of MLB.com that he “will definitely be 100 percent by spring training.”

Giavotella has already started to “run, hit, and throw” so his focus now is on adding more strength and flexibility while rehabbing at the Royals’ spring training complex in Arizona.

One of many promising prospects called up by the Royals last season, the 24-year-old Giavotella struggled his first big-league action, hitting just .247 with a .647 OPS and 32/6 K/BB ratio in 46 games. However, the diminutive second baseman batted .338 in 110 games at Triple-A before the call-up and hit .322 in 134 games at Double-A in 2010.

Barring a disastrous spring training he’s expected to start at second base over Chris Getz and Yuniesky Betancourt.

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 9, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Get well soon, kid. Not like you have to worry about either of those guys stealing your chance at the starting job.

• sportsdrenched.com - Jan 9, 2012 at 1:04 PM

He has to worry about the office politics. For some reason GMDM “really” likes those other guys.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 9, 2012 at 1:07 PM

True. None of us Getz that kind of thought process.

2. l0yalr0yal - Jan 9, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Hey, I think this is where I’m supposed to comment!

Last season, I remember seeing him run out on the field for the first time. I thought “wow, this kid is so young, he looks uncomfortable, I think it might be too soon. He’s just a little guy.”

Several games later, I made it up to KC and met him outside of the stadium. He was standing there with a gorgeous blonde girl, who just towered over him. At an even six-foot, I towered over his girlfriend. Even worse, his 19 year old cousin was in from Louisana with him. His cousin decided he wanted a piece of the action, so he asked a crowd of maybe fifty Royals fans if anyone wanted his autograph. A couple of small children waved him over, and he approached them, only to be told by what looked like a four year old “never mind, you’re not famous”. It was a good reality check for a kid who was trying to hard to impersonate every cast member of Jersey Shore.

I do wish Johnny the best of luck. I want to see these young guys stick around, I want to see a true (mostly) farm-grown AL Central championship. I’ve been following alot of these guys for years and if we can have a good run with these guys in place, it will be a great time to follow the Royals, and a testament to what a good front office and a good farm system can do for a club. Will that happen with GMDM? ugh.

One last note: I can’t figure out why we are so vested in Yuni, however the irony of holding every player other than Greinke in that trade last offseason is enough to make me want to give him a locker. If it happened that next year we somehow reacquired Zack (doubtful at best, I know), a complete screwing of Miluakee would be comical for us small-market guys. Anytime you want to do business, brewers, we will be listening.

• Old Gator - Jan 9, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Since I am not familiar with Giavotella’s ballplaying skills and didn’t know he was of small stature, I can’t really comment on this story – not that that usually stops me from doing so. However, I can comment on your story of him and his (comparatively) Amazon ladyfriend since, living athwart the Everglades as I do, we have so many species from the Amazon – anacondas, for example – occasionally making their way into our yard. Baseball players are not the only organisms who exhibit such acute sexual dimorphism: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blanket_octopus

3. l0yalr0yal - Jan 10, 2012 at 9:12 AM

I certainly walk away from this exchange more educated than I was when I walked in. And while I’m not versed in life outside of southwest Missouri, I try to keep up with Swamp Monsters. And the best advice from here I can offer you comes straight from the Bayou.

“Choot ‘Em!”