Jan 9, 2012, 10:47 AM EST
Kerry Wood told NBC-5 in Chicago that he expects to sign by Friday, with Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reporting that the Phillies, Tigers, Angels, and Reds are among the teams competing with the Cubs for the 34-year-old reliever.
Wood took significantly less money to sign with the Cubs last offseason and said just a couple months ago that he might opt for retirement rather than pitch for another team, but apparently something changed along with the new front office regime taking over and now he’s looking to get fair market value.
Last winter Wood accepted a one-year, $1.5 million deal from the Cubs when he was being offered multi-year deals for higher annual salaries elsewhere, including from the crosstown White Sox. This time around Salisbury reports that Wood is looking for a one-year deal worth around $4 million, which is reasonable money and may still be too much for the Phillies unless general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. can get ownership to sign off on a payroll bump to add the setup man.
Wood pitched very well for the Cubs last season, throwing 51 innings with a 3.35 ERA and 57/21 K/BB ratio, so he’s certainly right to think he’s worth similar money to other veteran setup men who got one-year deals this offseason like Octavio Dotel ($3.5 million), Jon Rauch ($3.5 million), and LaTroy Hawkins ($3 million).
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (133)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)