Jan 9, 2012, 4:36 PM EDT
In his early days as a prospect Martinez was rumored to be the centerpiece of nearly every potential Mets trade and Baseball America ranked him as a top-30 prospect in 2007, 2008, and 2009, but leg injuries and mediocre hitting in the upper minors have derailed his career.
Martinez is still only 23 years old, but he hit just .260 with eight homers and a .746 OPS in 63 games at Triple-A last season and has an ugly 158/46 K/BB ratio in 179 career games at the level.
He’s no longer capable of playing center field and hasn’t hit nearly enough to project as a corner outfield asset, but there’s a decent chance some team will take a flier on Martinez now that there’s no real cost or risk to acquiring him.
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 4
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 85
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (86)