Jan 9, 2012, 4:36 PM EDT
In his early days as a prospect Martinez was rumored to be the centerpiece of nearly every potential Mets trade and Baseball America ranked him as a top-30 prospect in 2007, 2008, and 2009, but leg injuries and mediocre hitting in the upper minors have derailed his career.
Martinez is still only 23 years old, but he hit just .260 with eight homers and a .746 OPS in 63 games at Triple-A last season and has an ugly 158/46 K/BB ratio in 179 career games at the level.
He’s no longer capable of playing center field and hasn’t hit nearly enough to project as a corner outfield asset, but there’s a decent chance some team will take a flier on Martinez now that there’s no real cost or risk to acquiring him.
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 9
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 66
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 86
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 20
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 23
- Report: Cubs hire Joe Maddon as manager 72
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (147)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)