Jan 9, 2012, 8:23 AM EDT
Bud Selig is supposed to retire at the end of the 2012 season. He has an office at the University of Wisconsin set up for himself and everything. Yep, pushing 80, it’s time for the Budster to finally ease into retirement. Too bad no one thinks he’s gonna. From Bill Madden’s latest at the Daily News:
… there isn’t a single person in baseball who believes Selig, who turns 78 in July, is going anywhere any time soon … even Selig’s closest friends find laughable the notion of him walking away from a job that pays upwards of $20 million per year, along with the perks of a private jet, to teach sports history.
Madden notes some have suggested that Selig will retire so he can be inducted into the Hall of Fame. Madden quotes someone who thinks Selig is likely to get the “must be retired” rule at the Hall of Fame changed. Which, in all honesty, he could probably do with a phone call.
Madden thinks that it will soon be announced that Selig will accept a a two-year extension to remain on as Commissioner with the pretext being to see the Mets through their troubles and to help the Rays find a new ballpark and/or city.
I wouldn’t bet two bits against that. I probably wouldn’t bet a nickel.
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 8
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 12
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 4
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 13
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)