No one thinks Bud Selig is retiring

Jan 9, 2012, 8:23 AM EDT

Philadelphia Phillies v Atlanta Braves Getty Images

Bud Selig is supposed to retire at the end of the 2012 season. He has an office at the University of Wisconsin set up for himself and everything.  Yep, pushing 80, it’s time for the Budster to finally ease into retirement.  Too bad no one thinks he’s gonna.  From Bill Madden’s latest at the Daily News:

… there isn’t a single person in baseball who believes Selig, who turns 78 in July, is going anywhere any time soon … even Selig’s closest friends find laughable the notion of him walking away from a job that pays upwards of $20 million per year, along with the perks of a private jet, to teach sports history.

Madden notes some have suggested that Selig will retire so he can be inducted into the Hall of Fame. Madden quotes someone who thinks Selig is likely to get the “must be retired” rule at the Hall of Fame changed. Which, in all honesty, he could probably do with a phone call.

Madden thinks that it will soon be announced that Selig will accept a a two-year extension to remain on as Commissioner with the pretext being to see the Mets through their troubles and to help the Rays find a new ballpark and/or city.

I wouldn’t bet two bits against that. I probably wouldn’t bet a nickel.

1. Old Gator - Jan 9, 2012 at 8:34 AM

I know you’re up there, Bud…I can smell your brayyyyaaaaiiiinnnnn….

2. Gardenhire's Cat - Jan 9, 2012 at 8:50 AM

I would have guessed he was in his late 60’s.. Guy looks damn good for being born in 1934

• Old Gator - Jan 9, 2012 at 6:27 PM

That photo was taken in 1935.

3. stex52 - Jan 9, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Selig can stay as long as he wants because it is all about $$$$ for the owners. If the issue was the best interests of baseball the sport he would have been gone 10 years ago.

I wish he was going.

4. aceshigh11 - Jan 9, 2012 at 9:42 AM

He’s almost 80?? And making $20 million per year?

Consider my mind officially blown.

5. hushbrother - Jan 9, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Old Commissioners never die, they just fade away (and make $20 million a year)

6. kiwicricket - Jan 9, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Remarkably small ears for a 78yr old?

7. natstowngreg - Jan 9, 2012 at 11:37 AM

The Commissioner makes more than all but a handful of players? Remarkable.

• jwbiii - Jan 9, 2012 at 12:04 PM

I don’t think Vernon Wells’ deal includes a private jet, either.

8. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 9, 2012 at 12:54 PM

If I was 80, I wouldn’t even know what to do with that kind of salary. Make sure every descendant I ever have is set up for college education, that’s about it.

• stex52 - Jan 9, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Yeah, we’d all rather have that money when we were 30, not when we are 80.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 9, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Not that we’d complain either way :)

9. Reflex - Jan 9, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Just remember this when people try to claim its the players driving ticket prices up. There are a lot more execs in baseball than players, and they make pretty good money.

Orioles turn AL East on its head