Jan 9, 2012, 8:23 AM EDT
Bud Selig is supposed to retire at the end of the 2012 season. He has an office at the University of Wisconsin set up for himself and everything. Yep, pushing 80, it’s time for the Budster to finally ease into retirement. Too bad no one thinks he’s gonna. From Bill Madden’s latest at the Daily News:
… there isn’t a single person in baseball who believes Selig, who turns 78 in July, is going anywhere any time soon … even Selig’s closest friends find laughable the notion of him walking away from a job that pays upwards of $20 million per year, along with the perks of a private jet, to teach sports history.
Madden notes some have suggested that Selig will retire so he can be inducted into the Hall of Fame. Madden quotes someone who thinks Selig is likely to get the “must be retired” rule at the Hall of Fame changed. Which, in all honesty, he could probably do with a phone call.
Madden thinks that it will soon be announced that Selig will accept a a two-year extension to remain on as Commissioner with the pretext being to see the Mets through their troubles and to help the Rays find a new ballpark and/or city.
I wouldn’t bet two bits against that. I probably wouldn’t bet a nickel.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 196
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 37
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)