Jan 9, 2012, 8:23 AM EST
Bud Selig is supposed to retire at the end of the 2012 season. He has an office at the University of Wisconsin set up for himself and everything. Yep, pushing 80, it’s time for the Budster to finally ease into retirement. Too bad no one thinks he’s gonna. From Bill Madden’s latest at the Daily News:
… there isn’t a single person in baseball who believes Selig, who turns 78 in July, is going anywhere any time soon … even Selig’s closest friends find laughable the notion of him walking away from a job that pays upwards of $20 million per year, along with the perks of a private jet, to teach sports history.
Madden notes some have suggested that Selig will retire so he can be inducted into the Hall of Fame. Madden quotes someone who thinks Selig is likely to get the “must be retired” rule at the Hall of Fame changed. Which, in all honesty, he could probably do with a phone call.
Madden thinks that it will soon be announced that Selig will accept a a two-year extension to remain on as Commissioner with the pretext being to see the Mets through their troubles and to help the Rays find a new ballpark and/or city.
I wouldn’t bet two bits against that. I probably wouldn’t bet a nickel.
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 0
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 21
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)