Jan 9, 2012, 10:31 AM EDT
The owners are meeting in Arizona this week. It’s the last scheduled owners meeting between now and March 1. That’s significant because March 1 is the date by which it is to be decided whether the new expanded playoff system — an extra wild card in each league — will go into effect in 2012 or 2013. Sports Business Journal thinks that decision will be made this week, even if it’s not announced for a bit.
It’ll be interesting to see what they do, because there’s a clear tradeoff of money vs. convenience here. Obviously everyone wants the new playoff game sooner because it will mean dollars and excitement and a means of capitalizing on last year’s crazy last night. The problem, though, is the schedule is already made and it’s really hard to see how they’ll squeeze it in. As it is, Game 7 of the World Series would be on November 1.
My guess, based on nothing but gut: the owners will ask themselves why they should put off until next year what can be done this year and they’ll just fine a way to shoehorn the wild card games in.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)