Jan 9, 2012, 11:50 AM EDT
Jon Heyman reports that the Texas Rangers are “offering about ‘Dice K money”” to Yu Darvish and that, as such, a deal is not close at the moment. Matsuzaka’s deal with the Red Sox was for six years and $52 million, and that seems way light of what most people have been projecting Darvish is worth.
Apropos of nothing, I think it’s kind of interesting how every Japanese player is compared to other Japanese players when scout-talk goes down. That’s kind of silly on some level, but I sort of understand that insofar as the point of a comp is to quickly put someone’s mind on a certain track, and if you compare one Japanese player to another Japanese player you’re already going with some sort of flow the intended recipient of the comp is probably going with himself.
But money too? Money is fungible and Dice-K’s deal was years ago. From an age and contract-worthiness perspective, he and Darvish have little in common. So I guess I’m wondering if someone with the Rangers really floated out a “Dice-K-type” of contract and actually used those terms in negotiations. Or if, rather, Darvish’s people are inferring that’s what’s going on here or simply going to that comp for the same reasons everyone compares Japanese players when talking about skills.
But there’s gotta be some other player who more recently got a ~$52 million contract we can use here, right? I say we go with “Darvish is being offered Mo Williams money.” Or maybe “Darvish is being offered Bell’s Brewery expansion-money.” Or Darvish is being offered “the cost of the Whitewater investigation-money.”
Let’s think outside the box, people.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 9
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 10
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 13
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)