Jan 9, 2012, 11:50 AM EDT
Jon Heyman reports that the Texas Rangers are “offering about ‘Dice K money”” to Yu Darvish and that, as such, a deal is not close at the moment. Matsuzaka’s deal with the Red Sox was for six years and $52 million, and that seems way light of what most people have been projecting Darvish is worth.
Apropos of nothing, I think it’s kind of interesting how every Japanese player is compared to other Japanese players when scout-talk goes down. That’s kind of silly on some level, but I sort of understand that insofar as the point of a comp is to quickly put someone’s mind on a certain track, and if you compare one Japanese player to another Japanese player you’re already going with some sort of flow the intended recipient of the comp is probably going with himself.
But money too? Money is fungible and Dice-K’s deal was years ago. From an age and contract-worthiness perspective, he and Darvish have little in common. So I guess I’m wondering if someone with the Rangers really floated out a “Dice-K-type” of contract and actually used those terms in negotiations. Or if, rather, Darvish’s people are inferring that’s what’s going on here or simply going to that comp for the same reasons everyone compares Japanese players when talking about skills.
But there’s gotta be some other player who more recently got a ~$52 million contract we can use here, right? I say we go with “Darvish is being offered Mo Williams money.” Or maybe “Darvish is being offered Bell’s Brewery expansion-money.” Or Darvish is being offered “the cost of the Whitewater investigation-money.”
Let’s think outside the box, people.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 24
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 83
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 8
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 17
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (85)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)