Jan 9, 2012, 11:50 AM EDT
Jon Heyman reports that the Texas Rangers are “offering about ‘Dice K money”” to Yu Darvish and that, as such, a deal is not close at the moment. Matsuzaka’s deal with the Red Sox was for six years and $52 million, and that seems way light of what most people have been projecting Darvish is worth.
Apropos of nothing, I think it’s kind of interesting how every Japanese player is compared to other Japanese players when scout-talk goes down. That’s kind of silly on some level, but I sort of understand that insofar as the point of a comp is to quickly put someone’s mind on a certain track, and if you compare one Japanese player to another Japanese player you’re already going with some sort of flow the intended recipient of the comp is probably going with himself.
But money too? Money is fungible and Dice-K’s deal was years ago. From an age and contract-worthiness perspective, he and Darvish have little in common. So I guess I’m wondering if someone with the Rangers really floated out a “Dice-K-type” of contract and actually used those terms in negotiations. Or if, rather, Darvish’s people are inferring that’s what’s going on here or simply going to that comp for the same reasons everyone compares Japanese players when talking about skills.
But there’s gotta be some other player who more recently got a ~$52 million contract we can use here, right? I say we go with “Darvish is being offered Mo Williams money.” Or maybe “Darvish is being offered Bell’s Brewery expansion-money.” Or Darvish is being offered “the cost of the Whitewater investigation-money.”
Let’s think outside the box, people.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)