Jan 9, 2012, 11:50 AM EDT
Jon Heyman reports that the Texas Rangers are “offering about ‘Dice K money”” to Yu Darvish and that, as such, a deal is not close at the moment. Matsuzaka’s deal with the Red Sox was for six years and $52 million, and that seems way light of what most people have been projecting Darvish is worth.
Apropos of nothing, I think it’s kind of interesting how every Japanese player is compared to other Japanese players when scout-talk goes down. That’s kind of silly on some level, but I sort of understand that insofar as the point of a comp is to quickly put someone’s mind on a certain track, and if you compare one Japanese player to another Japanese player you’re already going with some sort of flow the intended recipient of the comp is probably going with himself.
But money too? Money is fungible and Dice-K’s deal was years ago. From an age and contract-worthiness perspective, he and Darvish have little in common. So I guess I’m wondering if someone with the Rangers really floated out a “Dice-K-type” of contract and actually used those terms in negotiations. Or if, rather, Darvish’s people are inferring that’s what’s going on here or simply going to that comp for the same reasons everyone compares Japanese players when talking about skills.
But there’s gotta be some other player who more recently got a ~$52 million contract we can use here, right? I say we go with “Darvish is being offered Mo Williams money.” Or maybe “Darvish is being offered Bell’s Brewery expansion-money.” Or Darvish is being offered “the cost of the Whitewater investigation-money.”
Let’s think outside the box, people.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)