Jan 9, 2012, 1:14 PM EDT
Better believe it because it’s true. It belongs to Rick Carpiniello. He’s a hockey blogger, by the way. Still gets to vote for the baseball Hall of Fame because, well, I have no idea, but one must not question the logic of the Baseball Writers’ Association of America. They’ve been there and you haven’t and you can’t possibly understand. Or so I’ve been told.
Anyway, after a lot of ham-fisted slippery slope rhetoric regarding steroids (fact: if we find out we accidentally voted in a steroid user to the Hall of Fame the End Times will be nigh), he explains how he voted:
So my ballot, on which you can vote for as many as 10 players, went in this year with one name checked: Don Mattingly. I know he’s not going to get in because a lot of voters think his career body of work wasn’t good enough. But when he played, in his prime, he was the best player in baseball. And there are guys in the Hall, and guys on the ballot now, who were never that. Never considered dominant, or among the top two or three players in the game at any point in their career. And I’m pretty sure Donnie Baseball didn’t juice.
And yes, I find this way worse than a single token vote for Bill Mueller.
(link via BTF)
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 0
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 54
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)