Jan 9, 2012, 1:14 PM EDT
Better believe it because it’s true. It belongs to Rick Carpiniello. He’s a hockey blogger, by the way. Still gets to vote for the baseball Hall of Fame because, well, I have no idea, but one must not question the logic of the Baseball Writers’ Association of America. They’ve been there and you haven’t and you can’t possibly understand. Or so I’ve been told.
Anyway, after a lot of ham-fisted slippery slope rhetoric regarding steroids (fact: if we find out we accidentally voted in a steroid user to the Hall of Fame the End Times will be nigh), he explains how he voted:
So my ballot, on which you can vote for as many as 10 players, went in this year with one name checked: Don Mattingly. I know he’s not going to get in because a lot of voters think his career body of work wasn’t good enough. But when he played, in his prime, he was the best player in baseball. And there are guys in the Hall, and guys on the ballot now, who were never that. Never considered dominant, or among the top two or three players in the game at any point in their career. And I’m pretty sure Donnie Baseball didn’t juice.
And yes, I find this way worse than a single token vote for Bill Mueller.
(link via BTF)
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)