Jan 10, 2012, 6:20 PM EST
Gomez earned $1.5 million last season while batting .225/.276/.403 with eight home runs, 24 RBI, 16 stolen bases and a .679 OPS over 258 plate appearances. The 26-year-old was arbitration-eligible for the third time this offseason, but because he was a Super Two player, he remains under team control 2013.
Gomez has failed to emerge as a legitimate everyday player, but his elite defense and speed makes him plenty useful. He had an .857 OPS and six homers over 95 plate appearances against southpaws last season, so serving on the lesser side of a platoon with Nyjer Morgan at least plays to his strengths.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 18
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (379)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)