Cardinals to be honored by President Barack Obama at the White House next week

Jan 10, 2012, 11:19 AM EST

Obama First Pitch

To celebrate their World Series title the Cardinals are scheduled to be honored by President Barack Obama at the White House on January 17.

Albert Pujols is not expected to be part of the visit and according to Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch the Cardinals may also head to Washington without their former manager, as Tony La Russa “may have a scheduling conflict due to a family matter.”

But fear not: Arthur Rhodes has RSVP’d yes despite being a free agent unlikely to re-sign with the Cardinals. And if Rhodes gets some face time with the president I suggest “did you know we were both born in the sixties?” as a good icebreaker.

In addition to the White House visit the Cardinals are slated to spend time with soldiers at the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.

1. 78mu - Jan 10, 2012 at 11:28 AM

I wish Albert would go. I doubt any of the players would hold it against him since they would probably do the same thing if they had the opportunity.

The White House visit is for the team that won the WS and Pujols was an important part of that team. He missed the visit in 2007 and the Angels are not a lock to win a WS because no matter how good you are in the regular season the playoffs are all about who can get hot.

• lovesmesomeme - Jan 10, 2012 at 12:34 PM

I am wondering if Mo the bartender will have to wake up TLR up one can only hope he won’t be in a blackout. Maybe AP can send his bat$hit crazy wife in his place

• The Baseball Idiot - Jan 10, 2012 at 3:52 PM

You’re not really grasping the true concept of “Freedom of Speech”, are you?

2. arrabin56 - Jan 10, 2012 at 11:29 AM

There’s a Carlos Beltran/Walter Reed Medical Center joke to be made here, but I’ll leave it to some more cynical Mets fan…

3. 12strikes - Jan 10, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Albet wanted to go, but he was offered more by the Kremlin.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Jan 11, 2012 at 2:02 AM

I wish I could thumb this up five times (and have thought of it).

4. Ari Collins - Jan 10, 2012 at 12:26 PM

No team that has visited Obama has repeated as champion.

Coincidence?

OR MURDER!?!

• cintiphil - Jan 10, 2012 at 12:40 PM

We can only hope this trend keeps up.

• mcsnide - Jan 10, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Dammit Ari. I spit salad dressing all over my monitor on line 3.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 10, 2012 at 12:45 PM

WIN!

5. only1stantheman - Jan 10, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Actually, TLR and Pujols have an alternate event scheduled outside the white house with Glenn Beck.

• aceshigh11 - Jan 10, 2012 at 2:42 PM

That was my initial thought as well.

6. pisano - Jan 10, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Boy if that isn’t the kiss of death I don’t know what is!

7. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Jan 11, 2012 at 2:00 AM

An online piece that mentions Obama and not a politically motivated statement to be found. Just another reason I absolutely love this site.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5189)