Jan 10, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
To celebrate their World Series title the Cardinals are scheduled to be honored by President Barack Obama at the White House on January 17.
Albert Pujols is not expected to be part of the visit and according to Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch the Cardinals may also head to Washington without their former manager, as Tony La Russa “may have a scheduling conflict due to a family matter.”
But fear not: Arthur Rhodes has RSVP’d yes despite being a free agent unlikely to re-sign with the Cardinals. And if Rhodes gets some face time with the president I suggest “did you know we were both born in the sixties?” as a good icebreaker.
In addition to the White House visit the Cardinals are slated to spend time with soldiers at the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 9
- The Lester trade is a win-win 95
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 148
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 91
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (150)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (121)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)