Checking in with R.A. Dickey on Mount Kilimanjaro

Jan 10, 2012, 1:40 PM EST

R.A. Dickey AP

As we’ve noted a couple of times, Mets pitcher R.A. Dickey is climbing Mount Kilimanjaro. As in, he’s doing it right now.  And the New York Times is running his journal entries.  Don’t read it if you prefer your ballplayers to say stuff like “I just want to help the ballclub” and “I just want to give 110%.”

Thankfully, my journey thus far has not solely been glimpses of my own mortality, but also of great splendor and beauty. Never have these words been more useful to me than in my attempt to describe the sights of the past two days.

Follow along with baseball’s most interesting dude here.

1. jckid21 - Jan 10, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Wow….This might be the best story to come out of the Mets 2012 season. Can’t wait to see the highlights on TWIB

2. cur68 - Jan 10, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Am I the only person to fear the coming RA Dickey Armageddon that will ensue when he signals his forces from wherever they are (he’ll raise his throwing hand and just wave it vaguely about) once he summits Kilimanjaro? Really, we should all be panicking. In 43 days after his ascent, his forces will march.

And thanks to jwbiii who posted a link in the comments on the NY Mets article from yesterday. Made for some good reading, which is important when you have lots of other stuff you’re supposed to be doing.

• Old Gator - Jan 11, 2012 at 12:37 AM

You may not be the only one. Some other boxes of cereal may also have been contaminated with ergot mold.

3. sdelmonte - Jan 10, 2012 at 1:52 PM

It still amazes me that anyone can submit journal entries for instant publication from such desolate locations.

Means RA is getting better wireless service than a lot of AT&T users.

Funny, though, that he calls the makeshift helipad the first sign of civilization he’s seen in days when he has civilization in his pocket.

• jwbiii - Jan 10, 2012 at 2:14 PM

He’s writing for The New York Times. They’ve got sat phones.

• Old Gator - Jan 11, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Well, his location may be remote, but I don’t think you could call it desolate. Detroit is desolate.

4. Old Gator - Jan 10, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Dickey writes beautifully, as one might expect of an English Lit major who attended Cormac McCarthy’s alma mater in the town that also gave us the sublime James Agee. Since journalist copy editors don’t even know how properly to construct plural possessive nouns these days, I’m going to assume that the evocative, pristine writing is indeed Dickey’s own, unvarnished. Good for him.

Even so, I’m a Wilpon or an Alderson, having already thrown in the competitive towel for the foreseeable future I’m probably torn between worrying about my investment and hoping that he compound-fractures an ankle so I won’t have to pay him this season.

5. El Bravo - Jan 10, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Why no love for Kevin Slowey, who is apparently on this mission as well?? It’s all about the knucklers apparently…sigh…

• kopy - Jan 10, 2012 at 2:36 PM

“An earlier version of a photo caption with this post misidentified Dave Racaniello as Kevin Slowey of the Rockies, who is also on the trip.”

There’s his love!

If you look at the picture, it’s even funnier. No offense to the bullpen catcher, but if Kevin Slowey was only that tall (standing next to 6’2″ Dickey), he would have quite the motion on the mound.

• sknut - Jan 10, 2012 at 3:23 PM

But the real question is “Has he thrown Slowey off the mountain yet?” Cause if he hasn’t then he is truly a gentleman and scholar.

• Old Gator - Jan 10, 2012 at 2:46 PM

And the guide cautioned them, “poli, poli,” which meant “Slowey, slowey.”

Love all over the place.

6. Detroit Michael - Jan 10, 2012 at 2:35 PM

“Baseball’s most intersting dude,” eh? Miguel Batista, the subject of the blog post right before this one, might give him competition. Who else is in the running? Jimmy Rollins is interesting in a more earthy, conversational way I believe.

• Old Gator - Jan 10, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Please don’t include Slobbering Ozzie in this mix….

• jwbiii - Jan 10, 2012 at 5:33 PM

The Feesh will certainly be interesting, but Ozzie will just be one member of the ensemble cast.

7. tellyspop - Jan 10, 2012 at 4:21 PM

In Dickey’s latest report, high in the snow of Kilimanjaro, he was asked about the Wilpons,
    “The rich…were dull and they drank too much, or they played too much backgammon. They were dull and they were repetitious.”

8. Chris K - Jan 10, 2012 at 5:13 PM

I guess every generation has their own Bill Lee

9. cool10857 - Jan 10, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Hey Fred Wilpon, you SUCK!

10. snowbirdgothic - Jan 10, 2012 at 5:59 PM

The real problem is that the expedition’s goal is to find last year’s expedition, which was going to build a bridge between the two peaks.

• Old Gator - Jan 11, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Great handle, snowbirdgothic. I would have thought of it myself if they had been willing to pay me enough.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5017)