Jan 10, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Morales hasn’t played since breaking his ankle in May of 2010, suffering multiple setbacks along the way after initially hoping to be ready for Opening Day of last season. He eventually underwent a second surgery, but the Angels were confident enough in his odds of being healthy this year that they tendered him a contract.
Gonzalez reports that there’s still no timetable for his return to baseball activities, but Morales has been running on an unweighted treadmill and hitting off a tee. A healthy Morales would add to the Angels’ logjam at first base, designated hitter, and the outfield corners, but the stockpile of capable hitters should also allow them to be very cautious with his recovery timetable. Not that they have much choice at this point.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 42
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)