Jan 10, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Morales hasn’t played since breaking his ankle in May of 2010, suffering multiple setbacks along the way after initially hoping to be ready for Opening Day of last season. He eventually underwent a second surgery, but the Angels were confident enough in his odds of being healthy this year that they tendered him a contract.
Gonzalez reports that there’s still no timetable for his return to baseball activities, but Morales has been running on an unweighted treadmill and hitting off a tee. A healthy Morales would add to the Angels’ logjam at first base, designated hitter, and the outfield corners, but the stockpile of capable hitters should also allow them to be very cautious with his recovery timetable. Not that they have much choice at this point.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 90
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 63
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (104)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)