Look! Up in the sky! It’s …Saber Boy

Jan 10, 2012, 10:01 AM EDT

Every superhero has an origin story. This is the origin story for Saber Boy.  The scene: last night, after Randy Miller of the South Jersey Courier-Post revealed that he was one of the nine Hall of Fame voters who submitted blank ballots. Friend of HBT, Bill from The Platoon Advantage, inquired about his voting approach on Twitter.  Watch as a legend is born before your very eyes:

source:

source:

source:

And now, behold Saber Boy, in all of his glory, as conceived by Sarah Wiener.  Who is now selling t-shirts with His likeness:

source:

Bill has gone all-in with this, changing his Twitter handle to @Saber_Boy and everything.  At least temporarily.  As he says, he’s “The hero the BBWAA needs, not the one it particularly wants right now.”

I still think Batman is the best, but Saber Boy may actually be more relevant to my life.

1. Kevin S. - Jan 10, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Saberboy > Aquaman. And TCM might have some issues on the home front if he protests too much.

• The Common Man - Jan 10, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Hold on there. SaberBoy’s powers have not yet been clearly defined, as such we can’t make a fair and honest assessment. We do know, however, that he’ll be able to tell us the SHAR (Super-Heroism Above Replacement) for both Batman and Aquaman, definitively proving, once and for all, who is better.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 10, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Then we’ll finally have the proof we need that says Superman can kick both of their a$$e$ at the same time with one hand tied to Lois Lane. Unless proximity to Kryptonite is factored in of course…

• The Common Man - Jan 10, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Which Batman always carries. Duh.

• Francisco (FC) - Jan 10, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Batman has two very awesome games on console and PC released in the last year and a half… how many does Aquaman have?

• The Common Man - Jan 10, 2012 at 12:57 PM

You can’t play video games under water, so Aquaman doesn’t really care.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jan 10, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Oh now you’ve gone and done it!

2. Cris E - Jan 10, 2012 at 10:18 AM

For a basement-dwelling, computer-obsessed, un-athletic nerd he’d got a suspiciously muscular physique (and not just on his mouse arm, either.) I say steroids.

Also, the baseball themed tighy-whiteys are sweet, but a pink cape? Nobody this side of Rip Taylor wears a pink cape.

• hank10 - Jan 10, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Saber Boy needs to change his laundry detergent so colors don’t fade. Or send the uni out to the dry cleaners next time.

• paperlions - Jan 10, 2012 at 11:48 AM

I assume you mean that Saber Boy’s mom needs to change the detergent, as he still lives in her basement…and does all the shopping, of course.

3. El Bravo - Jan 10, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you Randy Miller of the South Jersey Courier-Post, your 2012 inaugural douchenozzle. The chief reason being that he has a HOF vote and knowingly abuses/wastes it. The other reason is actually a positive thing in that he invented Saberboy. Congrats to you Mr. Miller.

• Ari Collins - Jan 10, 2012 at 10:31 AM

I am ashamed to live in NJ.

Well, I mean. In general. Not because of this.

(Though also because of this.)

• El Bravo - Jan 10, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Hey, I have a fondness for the dirty jerz…my parents both grew up there and I spent a lot of time there! Jersey represent!

• Jonny 5 - Jan 10, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Dude, Ari. You must live more north of me, because I freaking love SJ.

• Kevin S. - Jan 10, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Jonny, don’t you live in “Pretty Much Alabama”

• Kevin S. - Jan 10, 2012 at 10:48 AM

?*

• Ari Collins - Jan 10, 2012 at 11:00 AM

I kid. (Mostly.) I really like North Jersey.

Don’t actually know South Jersey basically at all.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 10, 2012 at 11:26 AM

No Kevin, I’m a bit more south, and a bit more west.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 10, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Ari, It’s nothing like North Jersey, lot’s of open space and farmland still. and there’s no “funny” accent here either. We also have the Pine Barrens.

• hank10 - Jan 10, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Well, Randy does hail from Pittsburgh, originally. And he now covers the Flyers full time for the Courier Post. Just settin’ the record straight.

4. CJ - Jan 10, 2012 at 10:25 AM

that has to be the lamest attempt at an insult by a grown man that I’ve ever seen in my entire life.

5. Chris Fiorentino - Jan 10, 2012 at 10:35 AM

I got into it a little bit with Randy last night as well. I have always respected his interviews on 610 and his writings, but I have to say he is loopy on this subject. First, he rips a lot of his brethren in the BBWAA with things like “Well, at least I am not the idiot who voted for Lopez” Or even “What about all the idiots who voted for Mueller” Then in the next tweet, he says “Raines has never received 50% of the votes, so he doesn’t deserve to be in”

Huh? On one hand, your brethren are idiots. On the other hand, they are Gods? Which is it Randy.

But his best tweet of all was the one I posted on another thread, but I’ll throw it out here for those who did not see it…

“Tim Raines averaging .298 for 12 years is very good, but not great. Had he averaged .318 for those 12 years, I’d have voted for him.”

That’s about the dumbest thing I have ever read in my life. Even old-school guys read that and say “WTF is he talking about??”

• phillyphreak - Jan 10, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Yea I saw you get into it with him there. I think what he’s really trying to say is that “Raines didn’t hit the magic 0.300 average I need to vote for him so I’ll arbitrarily pick some number to show I’ve ‘thought’ about it.”

I don’t know if you read his column today but it’s a nice mix of using words to say nothing while appealing to the authority of players as to who gets his vote.

(http://www.courierpostonline.com/article/20120110/SPORTS/301100035/Why-my-Baseball-Hall-Fame-ballot-remained-blank?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports)

• Kyle - Jan 10, 2012 at 11:23 AM

The guy is simply clueless. Guh.

• cur68 - Jan 10, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Random hockey-guy thinks he knows baseball, eh? And he gets a vote with logic like that? Homey, please….

• kopy - Jan 10, 2012 at 11:55 AM

In his column, Miller writes:
      “By the way, here’s why I passed on Larkin, a 12-time All-Star who won nine Silver Sluggers, three Gold Gloves and an MVP: When I go through his stats season by season, I see a bunch of very good seasons but few great ones.”

So, if you win the Silver Slugger, you had a good season… but it wasn’t great.

6. phillyphreak - Jan 10, 2012 at 10:38 AM

“Ah, I think after being a baseball beat writer for 16 years that I know what OBP is, SaberBoy.”

My favorite part about this tweet is that he knows what it is, yet clearly still doesn’t know what it means.

7. hushbrother - Jan 10, 2012 at 10:44 AM

KLaw was taking issue with this guy on Twitter last night too.

Keep in mind that the Hall of Fame has never, at any point in its history, laid out its own definition of what a “Hall of Famer” is. It has left that job entirely to the voters. If this is Randy Miller’s stance on who should be a Hall of Famer, nowhere in the rules does it say he is wrong.

Also keep in mind that the Hall of Fame has decided it wants guys like Randy Miller as part of its voting body. The Hall of Fame could change its rules about who gets to vote (tv analysts, historians, players and manager and executives, the fans) but has staunchly refused.

• CJ - Jan 10, 2012 at 11:27 AM

So basically, it must be ok because the BBWAA gives him a vote so he can do whatever the hell he wants with it becuase they give no guidance on the subject. And we should all leave said moron alone because the BBWAA has no problem with such idiocy so why should we?

Welcome to HBT, Mr. Miller. But if by some chance that isn’t you, I apologize for offending the poster.

• cur68 - Jan 10, 2012 at 11:50 AM

CJ: Yeah, I don’t think hush is defending the guy just explaining that he, Miller, has carte blanche to do whatever he wants with his vote, even use it ignorantly. This is more the fault of the HOF, I interpret that correctly.

8. proudlycanadian - Jan 10, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Since he did not vote for Williams, I assume that to be consistent, in the future he will not vote for Posada. I also assume that since he did not vote for Bagwell and McGwire, he will not be voting for Bonds and Clemens either.

• kopy - Jan 10, 2012 at 11:59 AM

From his column:
      “Bonds, Clemens and Sosa won’t get my vote. A lot of people suspect Piazza cheated, too, but he’s never been caught, so I’ll vote for him.

Biggio? He has 3,000 hits, but I need to do more research. Schill? He rubbed a lot of people wrong with his personality, including me at times, but truly was great for a good stretch, especially in the postseason. My early vote is a yes.”

9. Chipmaker - Jan 10, 2012 at 10:58 AM

So… Bowa, Mathews, and Lopes — didn’t think anyone on the ballot was Hall-worthy? Or at least couldn’t argue convincingly enough for this guy?

Hmm.
    Bowa — retired 1985, played entirely in NL, so he could have faced, among the candidates, Murphy, Raines, and Smith, and Smith was a teammate for a few seasons.

Mathews — retired 1987, all NL until his last half-season when he hung on with the Mariners, so he would also have first-hand PT with or against Murf, Raines, Smith, and possibly seen several others in their earliest years. And been a teammate to Martinez as a rookie.

Lopes — also retired 1987, and had some AL years, so he could have experienced first hand Larkin, Mattingly, Morris, Mulholland, Murf, Palmeiro, Raines, Sierra, Smith, and Trammell.

Yet none were considered worthy.

I don’t know why he’s talking to these guys anyway. Check out these career batting averages:

Bowa .260
    Matthews .281
    Lopes .263

Miller shouldn’t be talking to anyone who didn’t bat .300!

10. paperlions - Jan 10, 2012 at 11:54 AM

16 years as a beat writer and Miller didn’t learn enough to have his own opinion? It is fine to ask others what they think and why they think it, but in the end, voters should form their own opinions and know why they think what they they think….this guy (and others like him) have presented no argument for their opinion (other than average ML players I covered 30 yrs ago wouldn’t elect anyone….probably).

11. bigdicktater - Jan 10, 2012 at 12:08 PM

I think I read somewhere recently that the HOF has more baseball executives enshrined than baseball players. Can anyone verify that?

• paperlions - Jan 10, 2012 at 1:04 PM

I can verify that it such is not the case….what is true (probably) is that a higher percentage of executives are enshrined than players. For the most part, the standards of execs/commishes is that they were around a while and some of their old friends like them enough to push through a committee vote.

• 18thstreet - Jan 10, 2012 at 1:39 PM

They let in Tom Yawkey. They’ll let in any executive who holds onto a job long enough.

12. Walk - Jan 10, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Wow i actually chuckled. Well done.

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3333)