Jan 10, 2012, 1:21 PM EST
Batista was called upon to make a spot start in the Mets’ season finale and shockingly threw a complete-game shutout against the Reds to lower his ERA to 3.60, but his overall performance wasn’t anywhere near as impressive and included more walks (33) than strikeouts (31) in 60 innings.
He doesn’t miss many bats or consistently throw strikes, but Batista is somewhat handy to have around because he’s willing to fill any role on the pitching staff. He’ll compete for a spot in spring training and could be a temporary rotation fill in if Johan Santana isn’t ready to begin the season on the active roster.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 32
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (376)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)