Jan 10, 2012, 1:21 PM EDT
Batista was called upon to make a spot start in the Mets’ season finale and shockingly threw a complete-game shutout against the Reds to lower his ERA to 3.60, but his overall performance wasn’t anywhere near as impressive and included more walks (33) than strikeouts (31) in 60 innings.
He doesn’t miss many bats or consistently throw strikes, but Batista is somewhat handy to have around because he’s willing to fill any role on the pitching staff. He’ll compete for a spot in spring training and could be a temporary rotation fill in if Johan Santana isn’t ready to begin the season on the active roster.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)