Jan 11, 2012, 7:05 PM EST
Cubs shortstop Starlin Castro will be in Chicago this weekend for the first time since the end of the 2011 season. It will also be his first time back in the city since he allegedly committed sexual assault against a woman at his downtown apartment.
So, in between appearances at the Cubs’ annual fan convention, he’s going to have a chat with police.
No charges have been filed by Castro’s accuser and the 21-year-old shortstop’s representatives have denied the allegations. The Cubs, meanwhile, seem to be taking a wait-and-see approach. Here’s new manager Dale Sveum, who spoke Wednesday with Bruce Levine of ESPNChicago.com:
“I don’t know all the details of all of it. Right now, it’s what it is, and I think it’s being taken care of in the (proper) avenues, but I don’t think it’s going to affect him at all. The one thing is that these are grown men. I’ve raised children, and sometimes you do have to treat players like they are your children. Sometimes guys get misled and they don’t know (how) to handle the off-field activities, so to speak, especially when you’re in a big city like Chicago.”
Castro batted .307/.341/.432 with 10 home runs, 66 RBI and 22 stolen bases in 158 games last year for the Cubs. He also became the youngest player in franchise history to amass more than 200 hits in a season.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 77
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 34
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)