Jan 11, 2012, 7:05 PM EST
Cubs shortstop Starlin Castro will be in Chicago this weekend for the first time since the end of the 2011 season. It will also be his first time back in the city since he allegedly committed sexual assault against a woman at his downtown apartment.
So, in between appearances at the Cubs’ annual fan convention, he’s going to have a chat with police.
No charges have been filed by Castro’s accuser and the 21-year-old shortstop’s representatives have denied the allegations. The Cubs, meanwhile, seem to be taking a wait-and-see approach. Here’s new manager Dale Sveum, who spoke Wednesday with Bruce Levine of ESPNChicago.com:
“I don’t know all the details of all of it. Right now, it’s what it is, and I think it’s being taken care of in the (proper) avenues, but I don’t think it’s going to affect him at all. The one thing is that these are grown men. I’ve raised children, and sometimes you do have to treat players like they are your children. Sometimes guys get misled and they don’t know (how) to handle the off-field activities, so to speak, especially when you’re in a big city like Chicago.”
Castro batted .307/.341/.432 with 10 home runs, 66 RBI and 22 stolen bases in 158 games last year for the Cubs. He also became the youngest player in franchise history to amass more than 200 hits in a season.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 0
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)