Jan 11, 2012, 7:05 PM EDT
Cubs shortstop Starlin Castro will be in Chicago this weekend for the first time since the end of the 2011 season. It will also be his first time back in the city since he allegedly committed sexual assault against a woman at his downtown apartment.
So, in between appearances at the Cubs’ annual fan convention, he’s going to have a chat with police.
No charges have been filed by Castro’s accuser and the 21-year-old shortstop’s representatives have denied the allegations. The Cubs, meanwhile, seem to be taking a wait-and-see approach. Here’s new manager Dale Sveum, who spoke Wednesday with Bruce Levine of ESPNChicago.com:
“I don’t know all the details of all of it. Right now, it’s what it is, and I think it’s being taken care of in the (proper) avenues, but I don’t think it’s going to affect him at all. The one thing is that these are grown men. I’ve raised children, and sometimes you do have to treat players like they are your children. Sometimes guys get misled and they don’t know (how) to handle the off-field activities, so to speak, especially when you’re in a big city like Chicago.”
Castro batted .307/.341/.432 with 10 home runs, 66 RBI and 22 stolen bases in 158 games last year for the Cubs. He also became the youngest player in franchise history to amass more than 200 hits in a season.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 18
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 3
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 15
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 7
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 36
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)