Jan 11, 2012, 8:22 AM EDT
The last possible thing preventing Frank McCourt from meeting his deadline to sell the Dodgers by April 30 was the ongoing litigation he and the Dodgers had with Fox over the Dodgers’ desire to auction off future broadcast rights prior to a sale. That potential barrier is gone now, as the Dodgers and Fox have settled the lawsuit, with the Dodgers agreeing not to sell TV rights until after November 30 as Fox had desired. Bill Shaikin:
The impetus for the settlement was the ruling last month that stayed the Dodgers from selling their television rights along with the team. U.S. District Judge Leonard Stark indicated he would probably make that ruling permanent.
So, yeah, when that thing you want looks to be impossible, it makes sense to give up fighting for that thing you want.
In other Dodgers news, there’s a new billionaire mogul type who is reported to be interested in buying the team. His name is Tom Barrack, he’s in real estate and he used to play rugby at USC. You can read all about him here. Frankly, you’ve seen one former rugby-playing real estate mogul, you’ve seen them all.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 2
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 51
- Breaking: The Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 98
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 67
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 76
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)