Jan 11, 2012, 8:22 AM EDT
The last possible thing preventing Frank McCourt from meeting his deadline to sell the Dodgers by April 30 was the ongoing litigation he and the Dodgers had with Fox over the Dodgers’ desire to auction off future broadcast rights prior to a sale. That potential barrier is gone now, as the Dodgers and Fox have settled the lawsuit, with the Dodgers agreeing not to sell TV rights until after November 30 as Fox had desired. Bill Shaikin:
The impetus for the settlement was the ruling last month that stayed the Dodgers from selling their television rights along with the team. U.S. District Judge Leonard Stark indicated he would probably make that ruling permanent.
So, yeah, when that thing you want looks to be impossible, it makes sense to give up fighting for that thing you want.
In other Dodgers news, there’s a new billionaire mogul type who is reported to be interested in buying the team. His name is Tom Barrack, he’s in real estate and he used to play rugby at USC. You can read all about him here. Frankly, you’ve seen one former rugby-playing real estate mogul, you’ve seen them all.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)