Jan 11, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
Blake Hawksworth‘s status for Opening Day is in question, as the Dodgers reliever will undergo surgery today to shave down bone spurs in his elbow.
Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times reports that Hawksworth is expected to be sidelined or 4-6 weeks, which means he likely won’t be at full strength for the beginning of spring training.
Hawksworth, who had a 4.08 ERA and 43/17 K/BB ratio in 53 innings last season, began feeling soreness after starting his offseason throwing program and rested for a couple weeks before going the under the knife.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)