Jan 11, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
Blake Hawksworth‘s status for Opening Day is in question, as the Dodgers reliever will undergo surgery today to shave down bone spurs in his elbow.
Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times reports that Hawksworth is expected to be sidelined or 4-6 weeks, which means he likely won’t be at full strength for the beginning of spring training.
Hawksworth, who had a 4.08 ERA and 43/17 K/BB ratio in 53 innings last season, began feeling soreness after starting his offseason throwing program and rested for a couple weeks before going the under the knife.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 0
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)