Jan 11, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
Blake Hawksworth‘s status for Opening Day is in question, as the Dodgers reliever will undergo surgery today to shave down bone spurs in his elbow.
Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times reports that Hawksworth is expected to be sidelined or 4-6 weeks, which means he likely won’t be at full strength for the beginning of spring training.
Hawksworth, who had a 4.08 ERA and 43/17 K/BB ratio in 53 innings last season, began feeling soreness after starting his offseason throwing program and rested for a couple weeks before going the under the knife.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 58
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 17
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)