Jan 11, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
Blake Hawksworth‘s status for Opening Day is in question, as the Dodgers reliever will undergo surgery today to shave down bone spurs in his elbow.
Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times reports that Hawksworth is expected to be sidelined or 4-6 weeks, which means he likely won’t be at full strength for the beginning of spring training.
Hawksworth, who had a 4.08 ERA and 43/17 K/BB ratio in 53 innings last season, began feeling soreness after starting his offseason throwing program and rested for a couple weeks before going the under the knife.
- Wrigley Field — the most human park in baseball — turns 100-years-old 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 68
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 45
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 48
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 106