Jan 11, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT
It’s kind of hard to summarize a Joe Posnanski blog post because they tend to be about 6 things, cover about 4,000 words and do way better on their own than any summary can really handle. But there is a new Joe Posnanski post up about the Hall of Fame and, as always, it’s chock full of interesting stuff.
Best part: Joe puts together a lineup of the best players who have ever (a) appeared on the Hall of Fame ballot; but (b) never got a single vote. And it’s a good team! Joe notes ” I’ll bet that team, at its best, could beat the worst Hall of Fame team you could put together in a best of seven series.”
I think he may be right, even though he does have Bob Horner starting at third base which would be all kinds of ugly. And I think his ability to come up with topics like that — the stuff of awesome barroom debate — every other day is one of the reasons he just won The National Sportswriter of the Year Award.
Great stuff. Especially the bit about the no-vote-getting Hall of Fame lineup.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)