Joe Posnanski does Joe Posnanski things with the Hall of Fame results

Jan 11, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT

Bob Horner

It’s kind of hard to summarize a Joe Posnanski blog post because they tend to be about 6 things, cover about 4,000 words and do way better on their own than any summary can really handle.  But there is a new Joe Posnanski post up about the Hall of Fame and, as always, it’s chock full of interesting stuff.

Best part: Joe puts together a lineup of the best players who have ever (a) appeared on the Hall of Fame ballot; but (b) never got a single vote.  And it’s a good team!  Joe notes ” I’ll bet that team, at its best, could beat the worst Hall of Fame team you could put together in a best of seven series.”

I think he may be right, even though he does have Bob Horner starting at third base which would be all kinds of ugly.  And I think his ability to come up with topics like that — the stuff of awesome barroom debate — every other day is one of the reasons he just won The National Sportswriter of the Year Award.

Great stuff. Especially the bit about the no-vote-getting Hall of Fame lineup.

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 11, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Baseball gets a little bit better every time that man writes about it. I can’t wait to read this.

2. phillieschamps2012 - Jan 11, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Another loser writer that has more time on his hands than he knows what to do with. Wow! What should I write about today? I know. Let me write a story that lists the best players that never got a HOF vote by position. Gee. Look at me. I’m new. I’m unique. I’m special. Wow!!!!

• Lukehart80 - Jan 11, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Worst. Comment. Ever.

Anyone who would write this about something written by Joe Posnanski should be banned not just from this site, but from from the entire internet.

• mkd - Jan 11, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Says the guy commenting at the bottom a blogpost about another blogpost. Project much?

• phillieschamps2012 - Jan 11, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Who’s Joe Posnanski? Is he Bob Costas’ nephew or something?

• JBerardi - Jan 12, 2012 at 1:53 AM

What I like about this guy is that he’s such an irredeemable douche that even HE didn’t think his comment was worth a single thumbs-up.

• vintage1496 - Jan 11, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Craig, can you … I don’t know, like preemptively ban this joker before the season starts? I can’t take another few months of one abrasive, obnoxious Phillies fan making comments that get 95% thumbs down-ed and giving the entire town a bad name.

• phillieschamps2012 - Jan 11, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Let me give you a Kleenax tissue you elitist pos….

• Jeff J. Snider - Jan 11, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Those darn writers, always thinking of things to write. My brother used to be a taxi driver, but I says to him, I says, “Joe, you gotta do something with your life! All you’re doin’ is drivin’ around, picking people up, takin’ ‘em where they wanna go, same ol’ thing every darn day!” It’s the same with this Joe Pastrami fella, how’s he ever gonna make anything of his life if he just keeps writing ridiculously interesting stuff about the greatest sport in the world. Sure, he gets paid good money, and yeah, he wins lots of awards, but HE DOESN’T WRITE ABOUT RYAN HOWARD, SO HOW GOOD COULD HE BE?????

• danrizzle - Jan 11, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Hilarious.

• foreverchipper10 - Jan 11, 2012 at 5:12 PM

If nobody won the internet yet today I believe it has now been awarded.

• cur68 - Jan 11, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Yeah, I’ll second that. Golf clap.

• Ducky Medwick - Jan 11, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Please do not feed the trolls.

• phillieschamps2012 - Jan 11, 2012 at 4:58 PM

You just did by your own comment, idiot. For the love of god, can no one ever come up with a better comment than “Please do not feed the trolls.” Be original, my man.

• ditto65 - Jan 11, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Could everyone just get off the internets today? phillieschamps2012 just got his computer back from his mommy.

• thefalcon123 - Jan 11, 2012 at 4:56 PM

@PhilliesChamps2012

Another loser commenter that has more time on his hands than he knows what to do with. Wow! What did you do today? Write a comment a blog criticizing a sportswriter in the least insightful way possible. Gee. Look at you. You’re a douche. Wow!!!

• phillieschamps2012 - Jan 11, 2012 at 5:01 PM

At least I didn’t get paid to write this garbage. If I did, I would want to shoot myself.

• Lukehart80 - Jan 11, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Quick, someone pay phillieschamp2012 to write his garbage!

• ditto65 - Jan 11, 2012 at 8:44 PM

I promise him $5.00. Get to work, champ

• El Bravo - Jan 11, 2012 at 4:56 PM

It’s amazing I still like the city of Philadelphia, knowing that so many douchebags reside within the area. It actually makes me sad for my best buddy from college and his wife who live there b/c they probably rub elbows with some of these nozzles. It makes me sad for the Jonny 5s, Utley’s Hairs and the rest of the intelligent Phils Phans on this site that have to defend themselves b/c of these instigating jokers …

• phillieschamps2012 - Jan 11, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Here. Let me give you more Kleenax tissue. Cry some more while I role up a fattie.

• vintage1496 - Jan 11, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Oh man, you do DRUGS?!

• El Bravo - Jan 11, 2012 at 5:08 PM

First off, it’s a “roll a fatty”, not “role a fattie”. Second, no one, I mean no one, rolls ‘em better than I do. Third, what kind of true smoker has the abrasive personality you do? You clearly are a drinker, not a smoker. So chill brah.

3. sdelmonte - Jan 11, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Wow. Steve Rogers didn’t get a vote. You would have thought that one person would have felt that Captain America was worthy.

I remember when Darrell Porter and Mark Langston and Frank Tanana were thought of as great players. Funny how fast that goes away and you don’t even get one vote for the Hall.

• thefalcon123 - Jan 11, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Funny how Frank Tanana had a lower ERA, more K’s, more innings, a lower WHIP, fewer walks, *almost* as many wins, and a much higher WAR than Jack Morris.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 11, 2012 at 5:15 PM

But he didn’t have that EPIC game 7 that totally proves he’s light years beyond Tanana! #verydeepsarcasm

• 78mu - Jan 11, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Frank Tanana could not pitch to the score. His parents did not conceive him so that his prime years coincided with the decade of the 80’s.

Obviously Frank Tanana is not deserving of the HoF unless his parents could do a better job of timing his birth AND he could give up more runs when his team scores a lot.

• cur68 - Jan 11, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Frank Tanana didn’t have HOF facial hair. That’s gotta be it.

4. cur68 - Jan 11, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Wow. What a read. Must have taken him ages to come up with that. Loved Posnanski’s reasoning on Rice, too. Good take and entirely plausible. He did say that he’d never heard of Tome Henke being referred to as “The Terminator”. Well he should have watched more Blue Jays games then, ’cause Henke was called that A LOT. Even been inducted into the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame as such. Whatever, though. I think I know more about HOF voting tendencies than ever before. Sounds a lot like scouting used to be before the likes of Saberboy re-invented it.

• El Bravo - Jan 11, 2012 at 5:29 PM

For what it’s worth, I saw “Moneyball” last night. I give it a solid A as a movie. I give it a B+ as a “baseball movie”. In other words, it’s really good and I look forward to the sequel. “Moneyball II: more money, more balls, more money shots, more ball shots”

• cur68 - Jan 11, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Well. Isn’t this a coincidence. I watched it last night, too. It was great seeing and hearing about all those guys from back in the day. Brad Pitt even called Scott Boras an “asshole” so it was very accurate in some respects. But, if I’m Art Howe, I’m pretty mad: he was pretty hard to like. As for the baseball, yeah not exactly a top notch baseball movie but a very good movie nonetheless. It would have been vastly improved with more actual baseball, featuring Koch, Zito & Tejada (guys who actually produced on the field) though. I’d love to see the Brad Pitt movie “MoneyVoting” in which a scrappy Posnanski shows grit and determination and gets the HOF voting to conform to sabermetric principals.

5. hammyofdoom - Jan 11, 2012 at 6:27 PM

For shits and giggles I just looked up Jack Morris’s postseason pitching numbers, since theres still HOF talk going on. During the LCS: Era 4.87, 40 innings, 24 strikeouts, 14 walks. Sure in 84 and 91 he had 3 complete games in 5, and respective ERA’s of 2 and 1.17, but in 1992 his world series ERA was goddamn 8.44 in 2 starts. How the hell does 5 great world series games make him a hall of famer? And its also conveniently overlooking his suckiness in the LCS and him totally failing in the 1992 World Series. Gah, I dont get the hall of fame

• hammyofdoom - Jan 11, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Ugh typed too fast, the 84 and 91 numbers were his world series numbers. Pardon me while I go take a nap

6. mtm1321 - Jan 11, 2012 at 7:15 PM

WOW! Great read. It’s amazing the talent that doesn’t actually get tin the HOF. Almost makes me sad. Great read.

7. dwrek5 - Jan 11, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Jimmy Wynn didnt even get a courtesy vote? That blows my mind! Dude was Edmonds, before Edmonds.

• thefalcon123 - Jan 12, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Oh, the downfall of playing in the two worst hitters parks during one of the worst offensive eras in the game. His numbers in that park/era were probably the equivalent of a 30 homer, 30 steal, .280/.400/.500 center fielder.

Wynn, Cedeno and Jose Cruz combined for a whopping four hall of fame votes. Seems like they should have gotten at least a bit more love from the writers than that.

8. jwbiii - Jan 11, 2012 at 11:16 PM

A bit off topic, but I was updating my HOF database today and thinking much less coherently about some of the stuff Joe Posnanski covered.

The last Hall of Famer to pitch is still Wade Boggs.

9. Chris K - Jan 12, 2012 at 12:23 AM

To be fair, I don’t think Morris deserves to be in the hall. That said, it somewhat upsets me how active people are in saying he should not be in and implying it would be a travesty if he got in. I just don’t think it is right. This is the HOF, not the government…campaign for someone to get in, not to keep them out…

• Jeff J. Snider - Jan 12, 2012 at 11:40 AM

I think a lot of it is left over from before Blyleven got in. For several years, there were lots of writers voting for Morris and NOT for Blyleven, which ruffled the feathers of a lot of smart people who could clearly see that Blyleven was a significantly better pitcher than Morris. Now that Blyleven is in the Hall, the anti-Morris sentiment had decreased, but I think a lot of people (myself included) still have a kneejerk reaction whenever someone mentions Morris as a candidate. Add in the fact that so many of the arguments FOR Morris are factually incorrect, and you can see why truth-lovers would bristle a bit.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3077)