“Nothing going on” with rumors of Matt Garza to the Tigers

Jan 11, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT

Cincinnati Reds v Chicago Cubs Getty Images

Last night David Kaplan of CSNChicago.com reported that the Cubs and Tigers were “down the road in discussions” for Matt Garza, but today several sources contradict that claim.

Jason Beck of MLB.com reports that “there’s nothing going on with the Tigers in regards to Garza” and Peter Gammons said on MLB Network that “I’m told it’s not going to happen.”

Pitching prospect Jacob Turner was believed to be the centerpiece of the deal from the Cubs’ point of view, but Beck speculates that they may be holding out for third base prospect Nick Castellanos as well.

In which case a deal seems very unlikely, because Gammons reports that the Tigers “won’t even do Turner for Garza.”

1. nwfisch - Jan 11, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Whenever I hear “There’s nothing going on” in regards to sports rumors, I know there is something going on.

2. Old Gator - Jan 11, 2012 at 11:20 AM

My problem with the entire Garza mini-series is that every time it comes up, I keep thinking, damn, the Feesh could have had him if they were willing to part with an awful-fielding, .146 RISP-hitting left fielder with an emotionally crippling case of mantodeophobia and diarrhea of the Twitter finger. But no-o-o-o-o, they had to throw Slobbering Ozzie his bone and take Krazy Karlos Lamebraino off the Cubbies’ hands instead.

And yes, I know, I’ve bellyached about this before and I am sure it is getting obnoxious, but what if your team could have had a rotation of Johnson, Garza, Buehrle, Sanchez and Nolasco but instead wound up with Johnson, Buehrle, Sanchez, Nolasco and Lamebraino?

• Old Gator - Jan 11, 2012 at 11:22 AM

PS – 40 days to peetchers and catchers.

• vivabear - Jan 11, 2012 at 12:13 PM

OG: Sorry to say, but I’m doubting any type of Morrison for Garza trade would be even close to a possibility. You correctly point out Morrison plays below average defense in LF – many articles note he is fairly adept as a 1B. It just so happens the cubs recently traded for the guy who is being counted on as their 1B of the future. And I’m sure that had been the plan since SD acquired Alonso, and made Rizzo expendable. You say Miami could have had Garza in their rotation – why not just say they could have Lincecum in their rotation as well?

• Old Gator - Jan 11, 2012 at 12:48 PM

There were supposedly other names involved in the trade discussions between the Feesh and the Cubs, but the reported “sticking point” was – as in other trade discussions, including for Gio Gonzalez – Tweeter. The Cubs traded for Rizzo subsequent to the Feesh nixing Tweeter’s availability. It might well be that if the Cubs had acquired Morrison there would have been no trade for Rizzo. Then again, maybe they figured that in a bandbox like Wrigley, so many of the balls Morrison might have booted, dropped, overrun, run speedograph patterns to get to or thrown to the plate in an effort to catch a runner going to third would have left the field anyway, so why worry about shoddy defense in left?

As far as Lincecum, these were actual discussions about ballplayers who were actually on the market. I’m not aware that the Jints were seriously sniffing around for a Lincecum trade.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 11, 2012 at 1:04 PM

At least your LF doesn’t make $18 million a year to do the same thing, minus the media issues.

3. dan1111 - Jan 11, 2012 at 11:56 AM

At least 20 mystery teams are also not doing much to pursue Garza.

4. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 11, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Please don’t move Garza. He’s the only guy left on my Cubs that I really like.

5. tone360 - Jan 11, 2012 at 1:47 PM

@Gator, You are gonna like Zambrano come September. He is a beast and in my book a flat out better picture than Garza. Plus you stole him.

• Old Gator - Jan 11, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Stole? Reminds me of any number of old Hammer Films wherein unsuspecting doofuses steal accursed amulets, rings, monkey’s paw pendants and what have you and wind up inheriting their curses.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 11, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Are you saying Z is more photogenic than Garza?

6. mickyfin815 - Jan 11, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Epstein and Hoyer aren’t the run your mouth types, they some how manage to keep most stuff pretty close to the house, that pisses Gammons off ‘cos he’s still all outa’ sorts because Theo dared come to Chicago, so if he can get a little crap thrown out there and try to influence anything in any manner to gum up anything Theo might do he’ll surely do it. Gammons good days are behind him, he dosen’t have near the “know” he thinks he does anymore. I’ll just sit back and watch, Theo and Jed got things covered my friends.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2774)