Jan 11, 2012, 1:50 PM EST
Jon Paul Morosi reports that the Cubs and Kerry Wood are close to signing a one-year deal with an option for 2013. The terms aren’t known, but it was reported yesterday that it would represent a “substantial raise” over what he made in 2011. Which was less than $2 million, so you figure it would have to be.
Wood was good in 2011, pitching 51 innings with a 3.35 ERA and 57/21 K/BB ratio. That kind of performance is getting setup guys roughly $3-3.5 million this winter, so that’s where he’ll probably be.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (123)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)