Jan 11, 2012, 1:50 PM EDT
Jon Paul Morosi reports that the Cubs and Kerry Wood are close to signing a one-year deal with an option for 2013. The terms aren’t known, but it was reported yesterday that it would represent a “substantial raise” over what he made in 2011. Which was less than $2 million, so you figure it would have to be.
Wood was good in 2011, pitching 51 innings with a 3.35 ERA and 57/21 K/BB ratio. That kind of performance is getting setup guys roughly $3-3.5 million this winter, so that’s where he’ll probably be.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)