Jan 11, 2012, 1:50 PM EDT
Jon Paul Morosi reports that the Cubs and Kerry Wood are close to signing a one-year deal with an option for 2013. The terms aren’t known, but it was reported yesterday that it would represent a “substantial raise” over what he made in 2011. Which was less than $2 million, so you figure it would have to be.
Wood was good in 2011, pitching 51 innings with a 3.35 ERA and 57/21 K/BB ratio. That kind of performance is getting setup guys roughly $3-3.5 million this winter, so that’s where he’ll probably be.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (185)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)