Jan 11, 2012, 1:50 PM EDT
Jon Paul Morosi reports that the Cubs and Kerry Wood are close to signing a one-year deal with an option for 2013. The terms aren’t known, but it was reported yesterday that it would represent a “substantial raise” over what he made in 2011. Which was less than $2 million, so you figure it would have to be.
Wood was good in 2011, pitching 51 innings with a 3.35 ERA and 57/21 K/BB ratio. That kind of performance is getting setup guys roughly $3-3.5 million this winter, so that’s where he’ll probably be.
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 38
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 66
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 48
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)