Jan 11, 2012, 1:50 PM EDT
Jon Paul Morosi reports that the Cubs and Kerry Wood are close to signing a one-year deal with an option for 2013. The terms aren’t known, but it was reported yesterday that it would represent a “substantial raise” over what he made in 2011. Which was less than $2 million, so you figure it would have to be.
Wood was good in 2011, pitching 51 innings with a 3.35 ERA and 57/21 K/BB ratio. That kind of performance is getting setup guys roughly $3-3.5 million this winter, so that’s where he’ll probably be.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 9
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 49
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 108
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (110)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (86)