Report: Cubs, Kerry Wood close to a one-year deal

Jan 11, 2012, 1:50 PM EST

kerry wood getty Getty Images

Jon Paul Morosi reports that the Cubs and Kerry Wood are close to signing a one-year deal with an option for 2013.  The terms aren’t known, but it was reported yesterday that it would represent a “substantial raise” over what he made in 2011.  Which was less than $2 million, so you figure it would have to be.

Wood was good in 2011, pitching 51 innings with a 3.35 ERA and 57/21 K/BB ratio.  That kind of performance is getting setup guys roughly $3-3.5 million this winter, so that’s where he’ll probably be.

1. phillieschamps2012 - Jan 11, 2012 at 1:56 PM

This is good news for the Phillies. There were reports that they were in talks with Wood to sign him. I didn’t want his Cubs stench infecting the Phillies clubhouse.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 11, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Lay off the haterade, bro!

• phillieschamps2012 - Jan 11, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Just a lot of exaggeration. I’m sure Kerry Wood is a fine clubhouse guy. Never heard anything negative about him. Just my way of saying I don’t think he’s got much left in the tank. I’m good with the Phillies bullpen as it is.

• El Bravo - Jan 11, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Don’t you worry, your clubhouse stinks like shit all by itself. Wood would easily be an improvement to your bullpen, so as a Braves fan, I say good move Cubbies.

I tell ya, every time you squash a Phils fan, two more of those bastards take their place! I mean that in the nicest way possible.

• phillieschamps2012 - Jan 11, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Your comment is absurd. The Phillies have the best clubhouse in all of baseball. Our bullpen is full of studs. Kerry Wood couldn’t make a pimple on Antonio Bastardo’s ass.

• El Bravo - Jan 11, 2012 at 3:40 PM

I don’t care if you have 25 Roy Halladays…it’s the Phillies clubhouse, thus it is rife with the scent of horsemeat, velveeta, dead hookers and cake (shitty fruit cake too).

• phillieschamps2012 - Jan 11, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Yeah, you stated above that you are a Braves fan. Watch when their “shitty” clubhouse has you team buried by 10 games out come July 1st.

• El Bravo - Jan 11, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Don’t you and your gang have a war veteran to beat up or something?

• rosloe62 - Jan 11, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Wood is all class…he wouldn’t make it in the Phillies clubhouse. Have another shitty sleezesteak!

2. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 11, 2012 at 1:57 PM

FINALLY.

3. xmatt0926x - Jan 11, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Nice to have you back, Halladaysbicepts. I won’t tell Craig if you don’t.

4. rexadelphia8 - Jan 11, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Yup we will kill all you fools

5. poontangible - Jan 11, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Glad they resigned Wood. Everything about him is a plus for the Cubs and the city of Chicago. When you strip out a clubhouse like Theo did, you need a few talented, clubhouse leaders, and Kerry fits that role to a tee.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester