UPDATE: Luke Scott signs with the Rays

Jan 11, 2012, 1:15 PM EDT

Luke Scott Reuters

UPDATE:  Scott has come to an agreement pending a physical, reports Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun. The deal is beleived to be one year plus an option.

1:15 PM: Topkin just tweeted that the Rays are “moving closer” to signing Scott.

10:32 AMMarc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times said yesterday that the Rays are considering Luke Scott for the DH role.  It doesn’t sound like it’s necessarily serious — Seth Smith is also being discussed — but my ears always perk up when Luke Scott is mentioned because there’s always a chance of crazy.

As for the baseball merits, he might be a pretty good value signing. Granted, he only hit .220/.301/.402 in 209 at-bats last season, but his shoulder was obviously bugging him and his season was eventually ended by surgery.  The year before he hit .284/.368/.535.  Big risks, to be sure, because shoulder problems can just destroy a player, but if he bounces back it could be pretty sweet for whoever signs him as the money will likely be low.

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 11, 2012 at 10:38 AM

As long as he’s not their PR representative, I think it would be a good signing for the Rays.

• Old Gator - Jan 11, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Excellent news for Katherine Harris. Now Iguana Face will have a kindred spirit in the neighborhood.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 11, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Thanks for making comments that make sense only to your nearby Floridians, Gator :)

• Utley's Hair - Jan 11, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Wow…the 2000 election was more than a decade ago, but can anyone really forget who that wench is? She’s the one who kept getting some guy named Chad pregnant and then hanging him, right?

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 11, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Nope. I plead ignorance. At the time I was mostly too busy loathing the Bush family.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 11, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Maybe he’s going to be the new head of catering.

2. mikeyrivs23 - Jan 11, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Good, I hope he takes his sh!tty attitude and moves as far away from my DC/Baltimore area as possible.
    – President Obama

• aceshigh11 - Jan 11, 2012 at 11:01 AM

4 thumbs down? I didn’t think there were that many birther fuckheads here.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 11, 2012 at 1:10 PM

You could tell all of the readers here that every person that thumbs-up will get a million dollars, and you’d still end up with 1-2 thumbs-downs.

It’s like, unprecedented internet thumbs-down spite of unknown origin.

• Old Gator - Jan 11, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Unprecedented? You ever read the comments to the news stories on Yahoo? This isn’t just tame – it’s flat out domesticated.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 11, 2012 at 4:06 PM

And see? My previous comment is 5-16 so far. Smartasses, haha.

And Gator, I don’t read Yahoo much. Mostly BBC and Huffington Post. Though I can’t imagine Yahoo can beat out these wacky comment threads.

• stex52 - Jan 11, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Like Stairs says, you could say the sky was blue and get some thumbs downs. It’s human nature. But I agree this is still civilized compared to a lot of other blogs.

• Reflex - Jan 11, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Sorry stex, I just had to thumb you down. I felt compelled.

3. stex52 - Jan 11, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Some of Luke Scott’s views are pretty despicable, but to the best of my knowledge they have not boiled over into him being a clubhouse problem. And he has certainly had years as a pretty good player. The reason they shipped him out of Houston for the big Tejada trade was they had Pence at the same position.

I think a team needing a left-handed RH/DH at least needs to take a hard look at him.

• stex52 - Jan 11, 2012 at 11:04 AM

I meant “RF”, not “RH”.

• Old Gator - Jan 11, 2012 at 11:06 AM

And the Razed could always hire Katy Perry’s dad to be his accountability buddy….

• El Bravo - Jan 11, 2012 at 11:11 AM

How very topical of you, Gator…

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 11, 2012 at 2:01 PM

You know who she is, Gator? Ahh, she must remind you of Ava Gardner.

• Old Gator - Jan 11, 2012 at 2:14 PM

I know who she is but I can’t listen to the tripe she sings. Beautiful woman, though – of course, even if she wouldn’t require a paper bag in the morning, you have to hope that she wakes up with severe laryngitis.

• Old Gator - Jan 11, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Incidentally, count your blessings. I’m much safer topical than taken internally.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 11, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Gator, I’ll refrain from making a truly tasteless observation/joke here.

• bkarbour - Jan 11, 2012 at 11:22 AM

If nothing else, he could fit into what I understand are frequent discussions of guns in the Rays clubhouse.

• Old Gator - Jan 11, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Well yeah, but what they’re mostly talking about is shooting down that morbidly obese predator drone that haunts the ceiling of the Tropicana Dump.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 11, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Please, Mo Vaughn couldn’t possibly live in St. Petersburg.

4. APBA Guy - Jan 11, 2012 at 11:40 AM

My family lives in Orlando, where Scott’s “views” are considered tame.

• Old Gator - Jan 11, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Not only that, it contains an entire village called “Celebration” where everyone reproduces parthenogenically and wears hats with mouse ears.

5. proudlycanadian - Jan 11, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Will Luke Scott actually get a new job before Prince Fielder gets one?

• cur68 - Jan 11, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Yep. Looks like it. All of a sudden, a jobless Fielder’s like the elephant in the room…ok, even if he had a job…

• Utley's Hair - Jan 11, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Seisenta, I see what you did there with Fielder and the elephant….

• cur68 - Jan 11, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Shhh, you’ll get me arrested…again.

6. franklapidus316 - Jan 11, 2012 at 1:31 PM

I refuse to believe the Rays signed him until I see a long form copy of his contract.

7. hittfamily - Jan 11, 2012 at 4:04 PM

That contract is from Kenya!!

• Utley's Hair - Jan 11, 2012 at 5:00 PM

So he’ll be playing in Kenya now? Cool.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 11, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Kenya believe that? Well? Kenya?

• Old Gator - Jan 11, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Uh-oh. He’ll be hitting against R. A. Dickey in the Kilimanjaro Winter League….

8. JBerardi - Jan 11, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Scott chose the Rays because next to the rapist Josh Lueke, he seems like an upstanding guy.

9. hammyofdoom - Jan 11, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Whats the over/under on how long before Scotty boy says something inappropriate about Cubans?

• hammyofdoom - Jan 11, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Not saying the guy is even racist… just suffers from a strong case of footinmouthitus

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win