UPDATE: Luke Scott signs with the Rays

Jan 11, 2012, 1:15 PM EST

Luke Scott Reuters

UPDATE:  Scott has come to an agreement pending a physical, reports Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun. The deal is beleived to be one year plus an option.

1:15 PM: Topkin just tweeted that the Rays are “moving closer” to signing Scott.

10:32 AMMarc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times said yesterday that the Rays are considering Luke Scott for the DH role.  It doesn’t sound like it’s necessarily serious — Seth Smith is also being discussed — but my ears always perk up when Luke Scott is mentioned because there’s always a chance of crazy.

As for the baseball merits, he might be a pretty good value signing. Granted, he only hit .220/.301/.402 in 209 at-bats last season, but his shoulder was obviously bugging him and his season was eventually ended by surgery.  The year before he hit .284/.368/.535.  Big risks, to be sure, because shoulder problems can just destroy a player, but if he bounces back it could be pretty sweet for whoever signs him as the money will likely be low.

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 11, 2012 at 10:38 AM

As long as he’s not their PR representative, I think it would be a good signing for the Rays.

• Old Gator - Jan 11, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Excellent news for Katherine Harris. Now Iguana Face will have a kindred spirit in the neighborhood.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 11, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Thanks for making comments that make sense only to your nearby Floridians, Gator :)

• Utley's Hair - Jan 11, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Wow…the 2000 election was more than a decade ago, but can anyone really forget who that wench is? She’s the one who kept getting some guy named Chad pregnant and then hanging him, right?

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 11, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Nope. I plead ignorance. At the time I was mostly too busy loathing the Bush family.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 11, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Maybe he’s going to be the new head of catering.

2. mikeyrivs23 - Jan 11, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Good, I hope he takes his sh!tty attitude and moves as far away from my DC/Baltimore area as possible.
    – President Obama

• aceshigh11 - Jan 11, 2012 at 11:01 AM

4 thumbs down? I didn’t think there were that many birther fuckheads here.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 11, 2012 at 1:10 PM

You could tell all of the readers here that every person that thumbs-up will get a million dollars, and you’d still end up with 1-2 thumbs-downs.

It’s like, unprecedented internet thumbs-down spite of unknown origin.

• Old Gator - Jan 11, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Unprecedented? You ever read the comments to the news stories on Yahoo? This isn’t just tame – it’s flat out domesticated.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 11, 2012 at 4:06 PM

And see? My previous comment is 5-16 so far. Smartasses, haha.

And Gator, I don’t read Yahoo much. Mostly BBC and Huffington Post. Though I can’t imagine Yahoo can beat out these wacky comment threads.

• stex52 - Jan 11, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Like Stairs says, you could say the sky was blue and get some thumbs downs. It’s human nature. But I agree this is still civilized compared to a lot of other blogs.

• Reflex - Jan 11, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Sorry stex, I just had to thumb you down. I felt compelled.

3. stex52 - Jan 11, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Some of Luke Scott’s views are pretty despicable, but to the best of my knowledge they have not boiled over into him being a clubhouse problem. And he has certainly had years as a pretty good player. The reason they shipped him out of Houston for the big Tejada trade was they had Pence at the same position.

I think a team needing a left-handed RH/DH at least needs to take a hard look at him.

• stex52 - Jan 11, 2012 at 11:04 AM

I meant “RF”, not “RH”.

• Old Gator - Jan 11, 2012 at 11:06 AM

And the Razed could always hire Katy Perry’s dad to be his accountability buddy….

• El Bravo - Jan 11, 2012 at 11:11 AM

How very topical of you, Gator…

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 11, 2012 at 2:01 PM

You know who she is, Gator? Ahh, she must remind you of Ava Gardner.

• Old Gator - Jan 11, 2012 at 2:14 PM

I know who she is but I can’t listen to the tripe she sings. Beautiful woman, though – of course, even if she wouldn’t require a paper bag in the morning, you have to hope that she wakes up with severe laryngitis.

• Old Gator - Jan 11, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Incidentally, count your blessings. I’m much safer topical than taken internally.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 11, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Gator, I’ll refrain from making a truly tasteless observation/joke here.

• bkarbour - Jan 11, 2012 at 11:22 AM

If nothing else, he could fit into what I understand are frequent discussions of guns in the Rays clubhouse.

• Old Gator - Jan 11, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Well yeah, but what they’re mostly talking about is shooting down that morbidly obese predator drone that haunts the ceiling of the Tropicana Dump.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 11, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Please, Mo Vaughn couldn’t possibly live in St. Petersburg.

4. APBA Guy - Jan 11, 2012 at 11:40 AM

My family lives in Orlando, where Scott’s “views” are considered tame.

• Old Gator - Jan 11, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Not only that, it contains an entire village called “Celebration” where everyone reproduces parthenogenically and wears hats with mouse ears.

5. proudlycanadian - Jan 11, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Will Luke Scott actually get a new job before Prince Fielder gets one?

• cur68 - Jan 11, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Yep. Looks like it. All of a sudden, a jobless Fielder’s like the elephant in the room…ok, even if he had a job…

• Utley's Hair - Jan 11, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Seisenta, I see what you did there with Fielder and the elephant….

• cur68 - Jan 11, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Shhh, you’ll get me arrested…again.

6. franklapidus316 - Jan 11, 2012 at 1:31 PM

I refuse to believe the Rays signed him until I see a long form copy of his contract.

7. hittfamily - Jan 11, 2012 at 4:04 PM

That contract is from Kenya!!

• Utley's Hair - Jan 11, 2012 at 5:00 PM

So he’ll be playing in Kenya now? Cool.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 11, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Kenya believe that? Well? Kenya?

• Old Gator - Jan 11, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Uh-oh. He’ll be hitting against R. A. Dickey in the Kilimanjaro Winter League….

8. JBerardi - Jan 11, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Scott chose the Rays because next to the rapist Josh Lueke, he seems like an upstanding guy.

9. hammyofdoom - Jan 11, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Whats the over/under on how long before Scotty boy says something inappropriate about Cubans?

• hammyofdoom - Jan 11, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Not saying the guy is even racist… just suffers from a strong case of footinmouthitus

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4733)
  2. M. Kemp (3749)
  3. M. Cabrera (2933)
  4. J. Kang (2831)
  5. J. Upton (2655)
  1. M. Morse (2631)
  2. W. Middlebrooks (2341)
  3. A. Rios (2294)