Jan 11, 2012, 3:50 PM EST
Poor Prince Fielder. Looks like he’s going to have to go to the unemployment office soon. Maybe look for a job at a Barnes and Noble or something. Because apparently no one wants to sign him. Here’s Bill Ladson of MLB.com:
There is a “99 percent” chance that the Nationals will not sign free-agent first baseman Prince Fielder, according to a baseball source … The source indicated that Fielder’s price must come down in order for the team to think about acquiring his services. The Nats are not willing to give Fielder anything close to the 10-year, $240 million contract the Angels gave first baseman Albert Pujols.
That first sentence is sexy, but the second sentence suggests that this is all posturing. It means that there is far greater than a 1% chance that Fielder will sign with the Nats. It merely requires some more negotiating. For that “99 percent” stuff to have any teeth it would have to be an “under any circumstances” kind of thing.
He’ll sign someplace. Maybe even with the Nats. All we’re seeing is an expensive guy facing a tough market. Expect a lot more of this kind of public negotiation as time goes on.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 272
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (275)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)