Jan 12, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
Just about every day a new bidder on the Dodgers is revealed. Most of them are billionaires you’ve never heard of. Then some familiar names surface:
… with its legal hostilities against the Dodgers ceased, Fox would like to buy back part of the team … Fox does not want to run the Dodgers again but the company wants to secure the team’s long-term television rights, according to a person familiar with the matter.
Fox has reached out to prospective bidders to indicate its interest in acquiring a minority share of the club — essentially offering to pay part of the Dodgers’ purchase price so as to lock up the TV rights, the person said.
That’s just a matter of math. If it’s going to cost several billion to secure TV rights for the Dodgers — which it will — why not pay way less than that to get a minority stake in the team and thus, presumably, far more favorable pricing on the TV side?
Also identified as a bidder in that article: billionaire Alan Casden. Hopefully his thoughts about the Dodgers and the place they play have changed since the last time he was reported to be interested in buying the team:
In 2003, Casden proposed buying the Dodgers, moving them to a new downtown ballpark and tearing down Dodger Stadium to build housing on the site. “They knock down stadiums all the time,” Casden told The Times then. “Dodger Stadium is not an antique. It’s not Frank Lloyd Wright. It’s a nice place to play baseball, but there are far better.”
Yeah, let’s just give him a pass, OK?
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 42
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 57
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)