Jan 12, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
Just about every day a new bidder on the Dodgers is revealed. Most of them are billionaires you’ve never heard of. Then some familiar names surface:
… with its legal hostilities against the Dodgers ceased, Fox would like to buy back part of the team … Fox does not want to run the Dodgers again but the company wants to secure the team’s long-term television rights, according to a person familiar with the matter.
Fox has reached out to prospective bidders to indicate its interest in acquiring a minority share of the club — essentially offering to pay part of the Dodgers’ purchase price so as to lock up the TV rights, the person said.
That’s just a matter of math. If it’s going to cost several billion to secure TV rights for the Dodgers — which it will — why not pay way less than that to get a minority stake in the team and thus, presumably, far more favorable pricing on the TV side?
Also identified as a bidder in that article: billionaire Alan Casden. Hopefully his thoughts about the Dodgers and the place they play have changed since the last time he was reported to be interested in buying the team:
In 2003, Casden proposed buying the Dodgers, moving them to a new downtown ballpark and tearing down Dodger Stadium to build housing on the site. “They knock down stadiums all the time,” Casden told The Times then. “Dodger Stadium is not an antique. It’s not Frank Lloyd Wright. It’s a nice place to play baseball, but there are far better.”
Yeah, let’s just give him a pass, OK?
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)