Jan 12, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
Just about every day a new bidder on the Dodgers is revealed. Most of them are billionaires you’ve never heard of. Then some familiar names surface:
… with its legal hostilities against the Dodgers ceased, Fox would like to buy back part of the team … Fox does not want to run the Dodgers again but the company wants to secure the team’s long-term television rights, according to a person familiar with the matter.
Fox has reached out to prospective bidders to indicate its interest in acquiring a minority share of the club — essentially offering to pay part of the Dodgers’ purchase price so as to lock up the TV rights, the person said.
That’s just a matter of math. If it’s going to cost several billion to secure TV rights for the Dodgers — which it will — why not pay way less than that to get a minority stake in the team and thus, presumably, far more favorable pricing on the TV side?
Also identified as a bidder in that article: billionaire Alan Casden. Hopefully his thoughts about the Dodgers and the place they play have changed since the last time he was reported to be interested in buying the team:
In 2003, Casden proposed buying the Dodgers, moving them to a new downtown ballpark and tearing down Dodger Stadium to build housing on the site. “They knock down stadiums all the time,” Casden told The Times then. “Dodger Stadium is not an antique. It’s not Frank Lloyd Wright. It’s a nice place to play baseball, but there are far better.”
Yeah, let’s just give him a pass, OK?
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)