Jan 12, 2012, 8:37 PM EST
There was a general assumption, at the beginning of this offseason, that the Blue Jays would get involved at some point in the bidding for Prince Fielder.
But it hasn’t happened yet, and it’s not likely to.
According to FOX Sports’ Jon Paul Morosi, Toronto is “not a serious suitor” for the 27-year-old first baseman, and his asking price would have to come “way down” for that to suddenly change.
Fielder has drawn only mild interest around the league this winter despite owning a shiny .929 career OPS and batting .299/.415/.566 with 38 home runs and 120 RBI across 692 plate appearances last season for Milwaukee.
The Nationals have emerged in recent weeks as a potential front-runner, and reportedly had a meeting with Fielder’s agent on Wednesday evening at the annual owner’s meetings in Phoenix, Arizona. But it has become quite apparent that the free agent slugger isn’t going to come close to an Albert Pujols-like deal.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 29
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 50
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)