Dmitri Young no longer eats like a viking

Jan 12, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT

dmitri young getty Getty Images

We’ve seen a couple of stories about Dmitri Young’s dramatic weight loss and desire to come back and play in the majors again.  Jerry Crasnick’s is the most in-depth so far, however, and it’s hard not to want to root for Young after reading it.

Plus it has fun stuff like this:

“I’m not eating like a Viking now,” Young said. “I’ve learned to hold off, and when I do get my treat, I don’t abuse it. I’ll eat one slice of pecan pie and call it a day, instead of eating half the pie or the whole pie.”

I’d be shocked, given how many DH-types are available on the market right now, if Young actually got a job.  But I’d love to see him get an invite and play some spring training games.  I loved him as a player and everyone I know who has had some contact with him says he’s great.

1. bigharold - Jan 12, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Not exactly “Best Shape of his life” material.

• natstowngreg - Jan 12, 2012 at 6:23 PM

He may well be in the best shape of his life.

Because Young has diabetes, his weight not only affected his game, it threatened his life. Keeping the weight off might not get him another MLB shot, but it should get him a few more years to live, which is the more important thing.

• Old Gator - Jan 12, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Maybe they could hire Dimitri Young to be Prince Fielder’s accountability pudgie.

2. nlucas550 - Jan 12, 2012 at 5:56 PM

How long will the Rams wait for Fisher? Plus much more on the new daily grind sports!

The Best Site Ever

3. cur68 - Jan 12, 2012 at 5:58 PM

See, this is why I say pie is bad. Look what it nearly did to Meat Hook? If that had been cake he’d be svelte and playing to this day rather than trying to recover from all that pie.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 12, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Dmitri is obviously on the take from the organization for the advancement of cake. They have far reaching hands they do. First weddings, then Dmitri. Their devious acts have no boundaries!

• cur68 - Jan 12, 2012 at 8:05 PM

We own bachelor parties, too. Cake rulze!

• El Bravo - Jan 13, 2012 at 11:36 AM

No way. Pie 4 Life.

• cur68 - Jan 13, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Clowns throw pie. Good looking women jump out of cake.

• Old Gator - Jan 13, 2012 at 3:43 PM

I don’t see how you could top that one with anything except cheap sentiment.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 13, 2012 at 5:56 PM

The ultimate diabetic question (it’s okay, I am one), posed out-of-context by Eddie Izzard:

“Cake, or death?”

4. rjostewart - Jan 12, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Oh boy! Sleep! That’s where Dmitri Young’s a viking!

• lembeck4 - Jan 13, 2012 at 10:42 AM

No Dmitri Young story is complete without a Ralph Wiggum reference. +1

5. sumerduckman - Jan 12, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Call me stupid ( and many have), but if I was a GM, I would hire this guy ( and give him a chance) long before I would hire Manny.

6. jwbiii - Jan 12, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Avoiding lutefisk is probably a good idea.

• wlschneider09 - Jan 12, 2012 at 8:34 PM

What could you possibly have against fish flavored jello?

• Old Gator - Jan 12, 2012 at 11:32 PM

No whipped cream on top, for one thing.

7. lyon810 - Jan 12, 2012 at 7:33 PM

geez, Bowden looks like a skinny Fat Bastard

8. aceshigh11 - Jan 12, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Eats like a Viking! HA!

Now THAT’S line I have to remember for future use.

9. humanexcrement - Jan 12, 2012 at 11:24 PM

If Jason Giambi is still valuable enough to get a guaranteed contract, I’d say Dmitri Young is worth a look as a pinch hit/bench bat/backup firstbaseman type.

10. crashdog - Jan 13, 2012 at 7:12 AM

Is he still smoking weed, drinking, or beating on his wife? If I remember correctly, it wasn’t the pie that ended your career Dimitri…….

11. skeleteeth - Jan 13, 2012 at 10:33 AM

How come there’s no love for Howard Bryant on HBT? Not to detract from DY story but I don’t recall ever seeing a link to something he has written. He just made a great argument for Selig’s career as commissioner, despite being of the opinion myself that owner’s have no business in that role.

He’s always struck me as someone who doesn’t pull punches and who’s articles often transcend the sport and deals with bigger picture stuff. Are my expectations too high?

12. Old Gator - Jan 13, 2012 at 3:45 PM

I’m looking at a dinosaur book from the Museum of Natural History with a picture of an allosaurus stripping a sauropod carcass and scattering flies the size of Mothra. Poor dumb therapsid might as well go to an Irish pub if he wants to eat offal like that.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet