Jan 12, 2012, 5:30 PM EST
We’ve seen a couple of stories about Dmitri Young’s dramatic weight loss and desire to come back and play in the majors again. Jerry Crasnick’s is the most in-depth so far, however, and it’s hard not to want to root for Young after reading it.
Plus it has fun stuff like this:
“I’m not eating like a Viking now,” Young said. “I’ve learned to hold off, and when I do get my treat, I don’t abuse it. I’ll eat one slice of pecan pie and call it a day, instead of eating half the pie or the whole pie.”
I’d be shocked, given how many DH-types are available on the market right now, if Young actually got a job. But I’d love to see him get an invite and play some spring training games. I loved him as a player and everyone I know who has had some contact with him says he’s great.
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 20
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 17
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 65
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 82
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)