Jan 12, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT
We’ve seen a couple of stories about Dmitri Young’s dramatic weight loss and desire to come back and play in the majors again. Jerry Crasnick’s is the most in-depth so far, however, and it’s hard not to want to root for Young after reading it.
Plus it has fun stuff like this:
“I’m not eating like a Viking now,” Young said. “I’ve learned to hold off, and when I do get my treat, I don’t abuse it. I’ll eat one slice of pecan pie and call it a day, instead of eating half the pie or the whole pie.”
I’d be shocked, given how many DH-types are available on the market right now, if Young actually got a job. But I’d love to see him get an invite and play some spring training games. I loved him as a player and everyone I know who has had some contact with him says he’s great.
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 7
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 54
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20