Jan 12, 2012, 9:17 AM EDT
Edwin Jackson apparently wants five years at $15 million per. No one really wants to pay that. Including the Yankees, who have — to the surprise of many — decided to actually operate like a business as opposed to Richard Pryor in “Brewster’s Millions” this offseason. Imagine.
But the fact is that the Yankees could use a starter and Jackson — maybe realizing that his price is a bit high — kinda needs a baseball team to hire him. So it’s not terribly surprising, then, that Scott Boras met with Hal Steinbrenner recently to discuss E-Jax, which he will regrettably be called a lot more often if he does sign with the Yankees.
No matter what the rate, it’s going to be hard for any team — and any fan base — to swallow Jackson on a long term deal. There’s a reason he has floated from team to team. It’s not because of his talent, which is considerable. When he’s on he’s electric. But he’s not always on. He’s erratic and when he’s bad he’s really hard to watch and it just depresses the living hell out of you. I’d love for him to put it all together and go on a nice 4-5 year run of superior pitching, but I have a hard time seeing that now.
But he will sign someplace. If the Yankees and Boras are talking, it may be in New York. And, hopefully, it will be at a much more reasonable rate than the last one we heard he was demanding.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 16
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (119)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)