Jan 12, 2012, 9:17 AM EDT
Edwin Jackson apparently wants five years at $15 million per. No one really wants to pay that. Including the Yankees, who have — to the surprise of many — decided to actually operate like a business as opposed to Richard Pryor in “Brewster’s Millions” this offseason. Imagine.
But the fact is that the Yankees could use a starter and Jackson — maybe realizing that his price is a bit high — kinda needs a baseball team to hire him. So it’s not terribly surprising, then, that Scott Boras met with Hal Steinbrenner recently to discuss E-Jax, which he will regrettably be called a lot more often if he does sign with the Yankees.
No matter what the rate, it’s going to be hard for any team — and any fan base — to swallow Jackson on a long term deal. There’s a reason he has floated from team to team. It’s not because of his talent, which is considerable. When he’s on he’s electric. But he’s not always on. He’s erratic and when he’s bad he’s really hard to watch and it just depresses the living hell out of you. I’d love for him to put it all together and go on a nice 4-5 year run of superior pitching, but I have a hard time seeing that now.
But he will sign someplace. If the Yankees and Boras are talking, it may be in New York. And, hopefully, it will be at a much more reasonable rate than the last one we heard he was demanding.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)