Jan 12, 2012, 9:17 AM EDT
Edwin Jackson apparently wants five years at $15 million per. No one really wants to pay that. Including the Yankees, who have — to the surprise of many — decided to actually operate like a business as opposed to Richard Pryor in “Brewster’s Millions” this offseason. Imagine.
But the fact is that the Yankees could use a starter and Jackson — maybe realizing that his price is a bit high — kinda needs a baseball team to hire him. So it’s not terribly surprising, then, that Scott Boras met with Hal Steinbrenner recently to discuss E-Jax, which he will regrettably be called a lot more often if he does sign with the Yankees.
No matter what the rate, it’s going to be hard for any team — and any fan base — to swallow Jackson on a long term deal. There’s a reason he has floated from team to team. It’s not because of his talent, which is considerable. When he’s on he’s electric. But he’s not always on. He’s erratic and when he’s bad he’s really hard to watch and it just depresses the living hell out of you. I’d love for him to put it all together and go on a nice 4-5 year run of superior pitching, but I have a hard time seeing that now.
But he will sign someplace. If the Yankees and Boras are talking, it may be in New York. And, hopefully, it will be at a much more reasonable rate than the last one we heard he was demanding.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 0
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)