Jan 12, 2012, 9:17 AM EDT
Edwin Jackson apparently wants five years at $15 million per. No one really wants to pay that. Including the Yankees, who have — to the surprise of many — decided to actually operate like a business as opposed to Richard Pryor in “Brewster’s Millions” this offseason. Imagine.
But the fact is that the Yankees could use a starter and Jackson — maybe realizing that his price is a bit high — kinda needs a baseball team to hire him. So it’s not terribly surprising, then, that Scott Boras met with Hal Steinbrenner recently to discuss E-Jax, which he will regrettably be called a lot more often if he does sign with the Yankees.
No matter what the rate, it’s going to be hard for any team — and any fan base — to swallow Jackson on a long term deal. There’s a reason he has floated from team to team. It’s not because of his talent, which is considerable. When he’s on he’s electric. But he’s not always on. He’s erratic and when he’s bad he’s really hard to watch and it just depresses the living hell out of you. I’d love for him to put it all together and go on a nice 4-5 year run of superior pitching, but I have a hard time seeing that now.
But he will sign someplace. If the Yankees and Boras are talking, it may be in New York. And, hopefully, it will be at a much more reasonable rate than the last one we heard he was demanding.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 23
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)