Jan 12, 2012, 12:03 PM EST
This is unexpected. Jeffrey Moorad is the Chief Executive of the San Diego Padres. Over the past couple of years he has been slowly buying a stake in the team from John Moores, the longtime owner. This was all negotiated as part of the sale of the team to Moorad nearly three years ago.
Though he has run the team as defacto owner for some time now, Moorad was supposed to be formally approved as the team’s “control person” this week at the owners meetings, which would make him the official representative of the team in the eyes of the league.
Bob Nightengale of USA Today reported today, however, that Moorad’s approval was tabled and no vote will be held. No reason was given. A few minutes ago Jon Heyman tweeted that he’s hearing that
Moorad “wants out.”
UPDATE: I screwed that up. Heyman’s tweet said Moores wants out, not Moorad. So that’s all consistent. It stands that, at the moment anyway, there’s some holdup on Moorad’s approval. We’ll see what happens.
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 130
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 21
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 258
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (258)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)