Jan 12, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
Joe Maddon is only under contract with the Rays through 2012. Managers — especially ones who just won the manager of the year award — don’t much like that. Just ask Phillip Seymour Hoffman who said as much in “Moneyball!”
Back at the Winter Meetings Joe Maddon told the assembled press that he had made some contact with the Rays about a contract extension. Now Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times says that progress has been made.
It’s certainly in the Rays’ interest to get this thing put to bed. The line of teams who would like to hire Maddon is pretty darn long.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (80)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (76)