Jan 12, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
Joe Maddon is only under contract with the Rays through 2012. Managers — especially ones who just won the manager of the year award — don’t much like that. Just ask Phillip Seymour Hoffman who said as much in “Moneyball!”
Back at the Winter Meetings Joe Maddon told the assembled press that he had made some contact with the Rays about a contract extension. Now Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times says that progress has been made.
It’s certainly in the Rays’ interest to get this thing put to bed. The line of teams who would like to hire Maddon is pretty darn long.
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 0
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 8
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 28
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 45
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (188)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)