Jan 12, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
Joe Maddon is only under contract with the Rays through 2012. Managers — especially ones who just won the manager of the year award — don’t much like that. Just ask Phillip Seymour Hoffman who said as much in “Moneyball!”
Back at the Winter Meetings Joe Maddon told the assembled press that he had made some contact with the Rays about a contract extension. Now Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times says that progress has been made.
It’s certainly in the Rays’ interest to get this thing put to bed. The line of teams who would like to hire Maddon is pretty darn long.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (124)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (116)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (81)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona