Jan 12, 2012, 11:00 AM EST
Joe Maddon is only under contract with the Rays through 2012. Managers — especially ones who just won the manager of the year award — don’t much like that. Just ask Phillip Seymour Hoffman who said as much in “Moneyball!”
Back at the Winter Meetings Joe Maddon told the assembled press that he had made some contact with the Rays about a contract extension. Now Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times says that progress has been made.
It’s certainly in the Rays’ interest to get this thing put to bed. The line of teams who would like to hire Maddon is pretty darn long.
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 20
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 38
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 45
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 27
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)