Jan 12, 2012, 9:45 AM EST
A Mattingly will be back in uniform in the New York Yankees’ organization this year – Preston. The 24-year-old son of the former Yankees star and current Los Angeles Dodgers manager agreed Wednesday to a minor league contract with New York.
Preston is not exactly a prospect. If he was, he wouldn’t have been traded away by the Dodgers one week after his father was named Dodgers’ manager. He didn’t last in the Cleveland organization, and almost immediately re-signed with the Dodgers. In six seasons in the minors he has put up a line of .232/.276./335. And he has been shuttled all over the diamond, starting as a middle infielder and now playing corner outfield slots and a little first base.
I suppose this signing could be considered a nice gesture by the Yankees to the Mattingly family. Sort of a thanks for all of the years of goodwill and service Don gave the team. But given that the guy’s employment has been close to 100% based on his organizations’ relationship with his father, you gotta figure that his destiny is going to hold things other than playing baseball for a living in the not too distant future.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 28
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)