Jan 12, 2012, 9:45 AM EDT
A Mattingly will be back in uniform in the New York Yankees’ organization this year – Preston. The 24-year-old son of the former Yankees star and current Los Angeles Dodgers manager agreed Wednesday to a minor league contract with New York.
Preston is not exactly a prospect. If he was, he wouldn’t have been traded away by the Dodgers one week after his father was named Dodgers’ manager. He didn’t last in the Cleveland organization, and almost immediately re-signed with the Dodgers. In six seasons in the minors he has put up a line of .232/.276./335. And he has been shuttled all over the diamond, starting as a middle infielder and now playing corner outfield slots and a little first base.
I suppose this signing could be considered a nice gesture by the Yankees to the Mattingly family. Sort of a thanks for all of the years of goodwill and service Don gave the team. But given that the guy’s employment has been close to 100% based on his organizations’ relationship with his father, you gotta figure that his destiny is going to hold things other than playing baseball for a living in the not too distant future.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 19
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 41
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 32
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 23
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)