Jan 12, 2012, 9:45 AM EDT
A Mattingly will be back in uniform in the New York Yankees’ organization this year – Preston. The 24-year-old son of the former Yankees star and current Los Angeles Dodgers manager agreed Wednesday to a minor league contract with New York.
Preston is not exactly a prospect. If he was, he wouldn’t have been traded away by the Dodgers one week after his father was named Dodgers’ manager. He didn’t last in the Cleveland organization, and almost immediately re-signed with the Dodgers. In six seasons in the minors he has put up a line of .232/.276./335. And he has been shuttled all over the diamond, starting as a middle infielder and now playing corner outfield slots and a little first base.
I suppose this signing could be considered a nice gesture by the Yankees to the Mattingly family. Sort of a thanks for all of the years of goodwill and service Don gave the team. But given that the guy’s employment has been close to 100% based on his organizations’ relationship with his father, you gotta figure that his destiny is going to hold things other than playing baseball for a living in the not too distant future.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 9
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 14
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 75
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 52
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (277)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)