Jan 12, 2012, 3:10 PM EDT
Bud Selig is now officially-official as Commissioner for two more years, as the full slate of owners voted for him a few minutes ago. here was Bud’s statement:
“I am very humbled by the request to stay on, and I look forward to building on the great momentum our game has seen in recent years. The focus is on the field, competitive balance is strong, and fans around the world are supporting our game in unprecedented fashion.”
He went on to say that it is with great reluctance that he has agreed to this calling. He loves democracy. He loves the Republic. And that once this crisis has abated, he will lay down the powers you have given him! Oh, and he’s going to create a Grand Army of the Republic too. Not sure what that means, but it’s probably nothing.
In other quotes, Paul Beeston, President of the Blue Jays, had this to say about Selig:
“He is uniquely suited to handle the demands of his position and serve as the leader of Major League Baseball.”
Know why he is uniquely suited? Because he is, I’m pretty sure, the only person who has any living memory of anyone else being the Commissioner of Baseball.
Finally, someone just asked Selig about when the A’s/Giants/San Jose situation is going to be resolved. He actually said this:
“We’re moving at a very quick pace.”
In other news, the A’s stadium committee is almost three years in. But they at least gave a report today. Or something. Probably just asking for more binder clips or notebooks or something.
Congrats, Bud. We can’t quit you. Even if we tried.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 0
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)