Jan 12, 2012, 3:10 PM EDT
Bud Selig is now officially-official as Commissioner for two more years, as the full slate of owners voted for him a few minutes ago. here was Bud’s statement:
“I am very humbled by the request to stay on, and I look forward to building on the great momentum our game has seen in recent years. The focus is on the field, competitive balance is strong, and fans around the world are supporting our game in unprecedented fashion.”
He went on to say that it is with great reluctance that he has agreed to this calling. He loves democracy. He loves the Republic. And that once this crisis has abated, he will lay down the powers you have given him! Oh, and he’s going to create a Grand Army of the Republic too. Not sure what that means, but it’s probably nothing.
In other quotes, Paul Beeston, President of the Blue Jays, had this to say about Selig:
“He is uniquely suited to handle the demands of his position and serve as the leader of Major League Baseball.”
Know why he is uniquely suited? Because he is, I’m pretty sure, the only person who has any living memory of anyone else being the Commissioner of Baseball.
Finally, someone just asked Selig about when the A’s/Giants/San Jose situation is going to be resolved. He actually said this:
“We’re moving at a very quick pace.”
In other news, the A’s stadium committee is almost three years in. But they at least gave a report today. Or something. Probably just asking for more binder clips or notebooks or something.
Congrats, Bud. We can’t quit you. Even if we tried.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)