Jan 12, 2012, 3:10 PM EDT
Bud Selig is now officially-official as Commissioner for two more years, as the full slate of owners voted for him a few minutes ago. here was Bud’s statement:
“I am very humbled by the request to stay on, and I look forward to building on the great momentum our game has seen in recent years. The focus is on the field, competitive balance is strong, and fans around the world are supporting our game in unprecedented fashion.”
He went on to say that it is with great reluctance that he has agreed to this calling. He loves democracy. He loves the Republic. And that once this crisis has abated, he will lay down the powers you have given him! Oh, and he’s going to create a Grand Army of the Republic too. Not sure what that means, but it’s probably nothing.
In other quotes, Paul Beeston, President of the Blue Jays, had this to say about Selig:
“He is uniquely suited to handle the demands of his position and serve as the leader of Major League Baseball.”
Know why he is uniquely suited? Because he is, I’m pretty sure, the only person who has any living memory of anyone else being the Commissioner of Baseball.
Finally, someone just asked Selig about when the A’s/Giants/San Jose situation is going to be resolved. He actually said this:
“We’re moving at a very quick pace.”
In other news, the A’s stadium committee is almost three years in. But they at least gave a report today. Or something. Probably just asking for more binder clips or notebooks or something.
Congrats, Bud. We can’t quit you. Even if we tried.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 54
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 28
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 61
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)