Jan 12, 2012, 3:10 PM EDT
Bud Selig is now officially-official as Commissioner for two more years, as the full slate of owners voted for him a few minutes ago. here was Bud’s statement:
“I am very humbled by the request to stay on, and I look forward to building on the great momentum our game has seen in recent years. The focus is on the field, competitive balance is strong, and fans around the world are supporting our game in unprecedented fashion.”
He went on to say that it is with great reluctance that he has agreed to this calling. He loves democracy. He loves the Republic. And that once this crisis has abated, he will lay down the powers you have given him! Oh, and he’s going to create a Grand Army of the Republic too. Not sure what that means, but it’s probably nothing.
In other quotes, Paul Beeston, President of the Blue Jays, had this to say about Selig:
“He is uniquely suited to handle the demands of his position and serve as the leader of Major League Baseball.”
Know why he is uniquely suited? Because he is, I’m pretty sure, the only person who has any living memory of anyone else being the Commissioner of Baseball.
Finally, someone just asked Selig about when the A’s/Giants/San Jose situation is going to be resolved. He actually said this:
“We’re moving at a very quick pace.”
In other news, the A’s stadium committee is almost three years in. But they at least gave a report today. Or something. Probably just asking for more binder clips or notebooks or something.
Congrats, Bud. We can’t quit you. Even if we tried.
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 18
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 29
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 19
- Frank Torre: 1931-2014 6
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 46
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball 86
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use 92
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)