Jan 12, 2012, 8:21 AM EDT
Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post reports that Nationals owners Ted and Mark Lerner met with Prince Fielder‘s agent, the one and only Scott Boras, last night at the owners meetings. Kilgore’s sources don’t know the details of the conversation, but my guess is that they weren’t reminiscing about how swell the Jayson Werth contract has been.
This just underscores what I was saying yesterday about how that report that there is a “99% chance that the Nats won’t sign Fielder” is all about posturing. The Lerners likely knew they were meeting with Boras last night. Before that meeting they wanted to float some negativity regarding their interest and give themselves some sort of negotiating advantage, so someone tells someone else that they’re not all that interested, frankly.
Not that these things really impact sophisticated negotiators like Boras, but it’s how the game is played.
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 15
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 33
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 15
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- David Price dominates Twins as Tigers win AL Central 30
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)