Jan 12, 2012, 8:21 AM EDT
Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post reports that Nationals owners Ted and Mark Lerner met with Prince Fielder‘s agent, the one and only Scott Boras, last night at the owners meetings. Kilgore’s sources don’t know the details of the conversation, but my guess is that they weren’t reminiscing about how swell the Jayson Werth contract has been.
This just underscores what I was saying yesterday about how that report that there is a “99% chance that the Nats won’t sign Fielder” is all about posturing. The Lerners likely knew they were meeting with Boras last night. Before that meeting they wanted to float some negativity regarding their interest and give themselves some sort of negotiating advantage, so someone tells someone else that they’re not all that interested, frankly.
Not that these things really impact sophisticated negotiators like Boras, but it’s how the game is played.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)