Jan 12, 2012, 8:21 AM EDT
Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post reports that Nationals owners Ted and Mark Lerner met with Prince Fielder‘s agent, the one and only Scott Boras, last night at the owners meetings. Kilgore’s sources don’t know the details of the conversation, but my guess is that they weren’t reminiscing about how swell the Jayson Werth contract has been.
This just underscores what I was saying yesterday about how that report that there is a “99% chance that the Nats won’t sign Fielder” is all about posturing. The Lerners likely knew they were meeting with Boras last night. Before that meeting they wanted to float some negativity regarding their interest and give themselves some sort of negotiating advantage, so someone tells someone else that they’re not all that interested, frankly.
Not that these things really impact sophisticated negotiators like Boras, but it’s how the game is played.
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PFT: Gronk's arm infection clear after surgery
- HBT: Dodgers have 'no plans' to fire Mattingly
- PBT: Brothers assaulted for taking Lillard's photo?
- PBT: Nets reportedly 'hone in' on Grizzlies' Hollins