Jan 12, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
Prior to emerging as one of the best college quarterbacks in the country at Wisconsin this season Russell Wilson was picked by the Rockies in the fourth round of the 2010 draft.
He played parts of two minor-league seasons, hitting just .229 with five homers and a .710 OPS in 93 games as a rookie-ball and Single-A second baseman, and not surprisingly Wilson has informed the Rockies that he plans to stick with football.
Joe Schad of ESPN.com reports that Wilson will not report to spring training and will instead focus on getting ready for the NFL draft, which is interesting considering he transferred to Wisconsin in the first place partly because the North Carolina State coaching staff wanted him to fully commit to football.
ESPN draft guru Mel Kiper Jr. does not have Wilson ranked among his top five quarterbacks, so Wilson may go lower in the seven-round NFL draft than he did in the 50-round MLB draft. He received a $200,000 bonus to sign with the Rockies in 2010.
And this concludes my Mike Florio impression.
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 1
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 16
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 22
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (128)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (103)