Jan 13, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
Yesterday the assembled owners put the vote to approve Jeff Moorad as the Padres owner on hold. Today Tim Sullivan of the San Diego Union-Tribune has more on that. Specifically, that there are concerns about team finances and debt limit considerations:
Selig declined to specify what questions Moorad’s group must resolve, but he said concerns were first voiced by Jonathan Mariner, MLB’s chief financial officer, on Friday … A baseball source indicated that some of the issues in need of addressing could relate to the commitment of Moorad’s partners and their willingness to fund future cash calls.
It’s kind of rich that after two years of McCourt/Wilpon craziness baseball is now going to hold the line on debt and finances for a guy who saved the bacon of the team’s outgoing owner, John Moores. And it totally irked Moores, who was the only one who voted against Selig’s two-year contract extension yesterday.
That said, if making Moorad wait a bit means that MLB is now going to look closely at all incoming owners’ finances and make sure that no more hucksters get into the ownership ranks, well, all the better.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 260
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 14
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 29
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 43
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (261)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (158)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)