Jan 13, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
Yesterday the assembled owners put the vote to approve Jeff Moorad as the Padres owner on hold. Today Tim Sullivan of the San Diego Union-Tribune has more on that. Specifically, that there are concerns about team finances and debt limit considerations:
Selig declined to specify what questions Moorad’s group must resolve, but he said concerns were first voiced by Jonathan Mariner, MLB’s chief financial officer, on Friday … A baseball source indicated that some of the issues in need of addressing could relate to the commitment of Moorad’s partners and their willingness to fund future cash calls.
It’s kind of rich that after two years of McCourt/Wilpon craziness baseball is now going to hold the line on debt and finances for a guy who saved the bacon of the team’s outgoing owner, John Moores. And it totally irked Moores, who was the only one who voted against Selig’s two-year contract extension yesterday.
That said, if making Moorad wait a bit means that MLB is now going to look closely at all incoming owners’ finances and make sure that no more hucksters get into the ownership ranks, well, all the better.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 32
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 46
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 26
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)