Jan 13, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
Yesterday the assembled owners put the vote to approve Jeff Moorad as the Padres owner on hold. Today Tim Sullivan of the San Diego Union-Tribune has more on that. Specifically, that there are concerns about team finances and debt limit considerations:
Selig declined to specify what questions Moorad’s group must resolve, but he said concerns were first voiced by Jonathan Mariner, MLB’s chief financial officer, on Friday … A baseball source indicated that some of the issues in need of addressing could relate to the commitment of Moorad’s partners and their willingness to fund future cash calls.
It’s kind of rich that after two years of McCourt/Wilpon craziness baseball is now going to hold the line on debt and finances for a guy who saved the bacon of the team’s outgoing owner, John Moores. And it totally irked Moores, who was the only one who voted against Selig’s two-year contract extension yesterday.
That said, if making Moorad wait a bit means that MLB is now going to look closely at all incoming owners’ finances and make sure that no more hucksters get into the ownership ranks, well, all the better.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 15
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 21
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 6
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 63
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (111)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games