Jan 13, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT
Over at Baseball Prospectus Jay Jaffe runs down the best players not in the Hall of Fame by position. At least the first half of them (this is the first part of a series).
It’s a maddening list so far. Not so much for the first name listed — in many cases they are players like Mike Piazza and Craig Biggio who will almost certainly make it soon — but for the second. Guys like Bobby Grich, Dick Allen and Ted Simmons who never got a real hard look by the Hall of Fame voters.
Oh, and Darrell Evans? My god that dude was good. And I bet if you asked 100 baseball fans under 30 if they knew who he was, the low percentage of affirmative answers would drive you to despair. Or at least me.
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 2
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 1
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 10
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 10
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 19
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 12
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)