Jan 13, 2012, 3:00 PM EST
Over at Baseball Prospectus Jay Jaffe runs down the best players not in the Hall of Fame by position. At least the first half of them (this is the first part of a series).
It’s a maddening list so far. Not so much for the first name listed — in many cases they are players like Mike Piazza and Craig Biggio who will almost certainly make it soon — but for the second. Guys like Bobby Grich, Dick Allen and Ted Simmons who never got a real hard look by the Hall of Fame voters.
Oh, and Darrell Evans? My god that dude was good. And I bet if you asked 100 baseball fans under 30 if they knew who he was, the low percentage of affirmative answers would drive you to despair. Or at least me.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 107
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 40
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 5
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 4
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 367
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (367)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (108)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)