Jan 13, 2012, 7:17 PM EDT
From David Kaplan of CSNChicago.com comes word that the Cubs and Wood have agreed to terms on a new deal. The announcement was made to an “insane ovation” at Cubs Convention earlier this evening. Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times reports that he’ll get a one-year deal worth $3 million with a club option for 2013.
Wood signed a team-friendly one-year, $1.5 million deal with the Cubs last offseason, despite getting multi-year offers for more money elsewhere, but his new deal is much more in line with the market value for a veteran set-up man. The 34-year-old right-hander posted a 3.35 ERA and 57/21 K/BB ratio over 51 innings in 2011. He’ll set up for closer Carlos Marmol again in 2012.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 13
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 43
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17