Jan 13, 2012, 7:17 PM EDT
From David Kaplan of CSNChicago.com comes word that the Cubs and Wood have agreed to terms on a new deal. The announcement was made to an “insane ovation” at Cubs Convention earlier this evening. Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times reports that he’ll get a one-year deal worth $3 million with a club option for 2013.
Wood signed a team-friendly one-year, $1.5 million deal with the Cubs last offseason, despite getting multi-year offers for more money elsewhere, but his new deal is much more in line with the market value for a veteran set-up man. The 34-year-old right-hander posted a 3.35 ERA and 57/21 K/BB ratio over 51 innings in 2011. He’ll set up for closer Carlos Marmol again in 2012.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 1
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 15
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 44
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 22
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)