Jan 13, 2012, 7:17 PM EDT
From David Kaplan of CSNChicago.com comes word that the Cubs and Wood have agreed to terms on a new deal. The announcement was made to an “insane ovation” at Cubs Convention earlier this evening. Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times reports that he’ll get a one-year deal worth $3 million with a club option for 2013.
Wood signed a team-friendly one-year, $1.5 million deal with the Cubs last offseason, despite getting multi-year offers for more money elsewhere, but his new deal is much more in line with the market value for a veteran set-up man. The 34-year-old right-hander posted a 3.35 ERA and 57/21 K/BB ratio over 51 innings in 2011. He’ll set up for closer Carlos Marmol again in 2012.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)