Hanley Ramirez is warming to the idea of playing third

Jan 13, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT

Hanley Ramirez Reuters

Hanley Ramirez didn’t take too well to the Marlins telling him he was moving to third base in the wake of the Jose Reyes signing.  But Jon Paul Morosi reports that “a friend of Hanley Ramirez” says Ramirez is “warming up” to the idea of playing third.  Two questions:

Where does Morosi meet “a friend of Hanley Ramirez?”  I’m not picking on Morosi specifically here — lots of reporters cite “friends” in these kinds of stories — but I’m just having trouble picturing it.

OK, the more important question: does the “warming up to playing third base” line imply that Ramirez thinks this is some decision he has to make depending on how he feels about it all? Because I sorta have this feeling that he’s playing third base no matter what he wants.

Oh well. These are the sorts of things I wonder about when there’s nothing else going on.

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 13, 2012 at 4:04 PM

I think the point to the story is that Hanley may bitch about it less. Maybe. That guy certainly doesn’t have the most professional track record though, so we’ll just see about that.

2. cur68 - Jan 13, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Nothing else going on? D00d you’ve ignited a Jack Morris free-for-all over on your post linking Bernhrdt’s piece on Morris’ case for the HOF. Its spilled over onto your HOF post and will likely reach new levels of true vitriol once guys who think you have it in for Morris crawl out of bed for the crack of 3PM. There’s plenty going on.

• Francisco (FC) - Jan 13, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Well what else do you want him to do? there’s no Phillies news other than Kyle Kendrick signing. That’s hardly good fodder for baiting Phillies Phans. So he went to plan B: Bait Jack Morris fans.

• cur68 - Jan 13, 2012 at 5:43 PM

I do not blame Craig, rather take issue with the phrase “nothing else going on”. I frankly welcomed that Jack Morris post like a new groom welcomes advice from Ron Jeremy. Nobody does unhinged, rabid support better than a blatant fan-boy who knows how to cherry pick stats. That was some pretty good “going on” right there. If I’m the blogger I’m mentally puffing a few bubbles and scrunching my feet in Phanatic Phur while thinking in gratitude about Jack S. Morris, HOF Candidate. What a lively little ‘debate’ that turned out to be.

3. El Bravo - Jan 13, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Wait, is there actual real evidence of him being upset about the move in the first place? I thought some of that stuff was overblown…

• Alex K - Jan 13, 2012 at 5:22 PM

This.

• El Bravo - Jan 13, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Objection: Hearsay.

4. yettyskills - Jan 13, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Wasn’t this posted a week or so ago?

5. trevorb06 - Jan 13, 2012 at 6:26 PM

With all the drama that comes from writers who need stories I’m sure this is a non-issue. I’ll bet this was over with weeks ago and now Hanley is cool with it and realizes he’s still getting paid. Until the source is Hanley or Hanley’s agent I wouldn’t buy into this. By the way, Albert Pujol’s friend’s, cousin’s accountant told me that Pujols said he hates the city of St. Louis and is glad he doesn’t have to play there anymore… What? You’re not buying that story? I think my sarcastic point is made. :-)

6. Old Gator - Jan 13, 2012 at 6:51 PM

I am not at all thrilled that Hanley is “warming” to the idea. You could say the same thing about a sinner as the elevator gets closer and closer to hell. The guy is not a great shortstop. He is going to be a less great third baseman. And if they’re hell bent on the Hanster playing third, the Feesh better come up with a better alternative in left field than Tweeter or there are going to be doubles turning into triples like popcorn kernels in a frying pan down that line.

7. APBA Guy - Jan 13, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Yes, but you’ll be comfortable in your brand new stadium, OG. I’ve been reading some speculation that season ticket sales presage a not robust average attendance this year. Any thoughts?

• Old Gator - Jan 14, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Hard to say. I haven’t paid attention to the ticket sales but there is still a lot of resentment that the stadium was built at all. Local voters fee they were ripped off by the usual backroom dealings, and there has been a pretty steady stream of bad news about the circumstances surrounding the financing arrangements, the tax treatments, the bungled sale of concession leases and non-tenancy of the intended shops and restaurants around the stadium. And of course it’s no secret that the team, via the Chihuahua, just flat out lied about its financial situation. So once the hoopla of the “rebranding” festival died down, the locals just went back to being cranky about the circumstances of the building of Macondo Banana Massacre Field. Now I can’t prove that all of this negativity has impacted sales, but I wouldn’t be surprised if some poll or other eventually showed that it has.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3086)